31.505, Books: Modality Across Syntactic Categories: Arregui, Rivero, Salanova (eds.)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Feb 4 02:34:35 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-505. Mon Feb 03 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.505, Books: Modality Across Syntactic Categories: Arregui, Rivero, Salanova (eds.)

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Jeremy Coburn <jecoburn at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2020 21:34:02
From:  Oxford University Press [HumanitiesMarketing at oup.com]

Title: Modality Across Syntactic Categories
Publication Year: 2020
Publisher: Oxford University Press
	   http://www.oup.com/us

Book URL: https://global.oup.com/academic/product/modality-across-syntactic-categories-9780198718215?utm_source=linguistlist&utm_medium=listserv&utm_campaign=linguistics

Editor: Ana Arregui
Editor: Maria Luisa Rivero
Editor: Andres Salanova

Paperback: ISBN:  9780198718215 Pages: 368 Price: U.S. $ 40.00

Abstract:

Editor's Note: This is a new edition of a previously announced book.

This volume explores the linguistic expression of modality in natural language
from a cross-linguistic perspective. Modal expressions provide the basic tools
that allow us to dissociate what we say from what is actually going on,
allowing us to talk about what might happen or might have happened, as well as
what is required, desirable, or permitted.

Chapters in the book demonstrate that modality involves many more syntactic
categories and levels of syntactic structure than traditionally assumed. The
volume distinguishes between three types of modality: 'low modality', which
concerns modal interpretations associated with the verbal and nominal
cartographies in syntax; 'middle modality', or modal interpretation associated
with the syntactic cartography internal to the clause; and 'high modality',
relating to the left periphery. It combines cross-linguistic discussions of
the more widely studied sources of modality with analyses of novel or
unexpected sources, and shows how the meanings associated with the three types
of modality are realized across a wide range of languages.

Linguistic Field(s): Morphology
                     Psycholinguistics
                     Semantics
                     Syntax
                     Typology

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=141115