31.569, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Programmer, Nuance

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sat Feb 8 09:29:23 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-569. Sat Feb 08 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.569, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Programmer, Nuance

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2020 04:27:37
From: Nicki Myddleton-Jones [Nicki.MJ at nuance.com]
Subject: Computational Linguistics: Programmer, Nuance, Merelbeke, USA

University or Organization: Nuance Communications
Department: 318.R&D - CLU
Web Address: https://jobs.nuance.com/#
Job Title: Principal NLP Software Engineer - Java / OO
Job Rank: Programmer

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics

We are hiring a Principal NLP Software Engineer to work on NLP products used
in the field to assist medical staff, these are real world products with real
customer feedback.

In the role you'll be contributing to the development of a clinical language
understanding (CLU) tools based on in house developed Natural Language
Processing (NLP) software. These tools are used to extract all patient related
clinical POI's and these facts are used to assist care personnel in their
functions. The team you will join are collaborative and supportive and is
expanding to support more healthcare applications and larger customers bases
as well as supporting our NLP tools build out. As NLP Software Engineer you
will join the team in adding new NLP (Natural Language Processing)-based
applications and supporting their rollout in the market. You'll do this
through CLU-pipeline improvements and CLU-engine tuning by developing rules or
applying machine learning algorithms on medical corpora - you'll be reporting
to the Senior manager for CLU Engine Engineering.

In the role you will:

- Participate in projects from requirements analysis to QA.
- Develop and improve NLP-applications through rules or machine learning
algorithms, making use of annotated corpora.
- Improve the CLU-engine by developing/improving new CLU pipeline components.
- Take control of fine-tuning our NLP-applications for new customers.
- Actively participate as a scrum team member in all phases of the scrum
process.
- Troubleshoot application defects.
- Ability to multi-task and stay organized in a dynamic work environment.
- Effectively work with multiple stakeholders and teams located in different
geographical locations.
- Perform tasks related to securing and keeping the products, tools, and
processes that you are responsible for secure.

You should have:

- Bachelor/Master/PhD in Computer Science, Computational Linguistics, Medical
Informatics, Bio-engineering/Biomedical Sciences or equivalent through
experience
- 3+ years experience with JAVA development or another OO-language
- Comfortable being part of a team, especially a geographically dispersed
team.
- Motivated to be a self-starter and individual performer effectively
contributing to overall team productivity and collaboration.
- Excellent English communication skills (written, oral, listening).
- Passion and enthusiasm.

Highly preferred skills include:

- Experience with the processing of big data, preferably in a cloud
environment.
- Experience with machine learning and/or NLP.

Other preferred skills:

- Experience with Maven, Spark, Apache and integrated build system is a plus
- Experience with databases/SQL is a plus
- Experience with Linux is a plus
- Experience with the medical domain is a plus

Some examples of our work in this team
https://youtu.be/K2eIMEodEhM

Please share your interest by clicking apply in our website.

Web Address for Applications: https://jobs.nuance.com/job/merelbeke/principal-nlp-software-engineer-java-oo/843/14254817
Contact Information:
	Ms Nicki Nicki Myddleton-Jones
	Email: Nicki.MJ at nuance.com