31.670, Calls: Applied Ling, Computational Ling, Lang Acquisition, Text/Corpus Ling, Translation/USA

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Feb 17 16:38:35 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-670. Mon Feb 17 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.670, Calls: Applied Ling, Computational Ling, Lang Acquisition, Text/Corpus Ling, Translation/USA

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2020 11:38:07
From: Peter Hoeyng [phoeyng at emory.edu]
Subject: Foreign Language Pedagogy in the Age of Computer-Assisted Translation

Full Title: Foreign Language Pedagogy in the Age of Computer-Assisted Translation

Date: 16-Oct-2020 - 18-Oct-2020
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact Person: Sarah Shortt
Meeting Email: sshortt at emory.edu

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Computational Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Text/Corpus Linguistics; Translation

Call Deadline: 15-Mar-2020

Meeting Description:

Foreign Language Pedagogy in the Age of Computer-Assisted Translation will be
an interdisciplinary conference with scholars from language pedagogy,
linguistics, psychology, philosophy, sociology, computer science, translation
studies, and related fields on the challenges and benefits of using
computer-assisted translation tools in teaching foreign languages.
In the past two decades our lifestyle has been completely reshaped by the
internet and globalization. Each of these spheres has been accelerating their
pace due to the forces of the other. Taken together the global digital age has
pushed domains such as news, shopping, travel, or the arts towards
transformative changes. Likewise, higher education has undergone major
makeovers be it in regard to big data, the digital humanities and the ability
to conduct online research. In fact, as critic Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak sees
it, universities are in the process of becoming less a locus for a formative
education rather than places of mere knowledge transactions.
Foreign language pedagogy as an integral part of higher education is by no
means shielded from these pressures. After all, it faces these developments,
among others, in form of the advancement of computer-assisted translation
tools (online dictionaries, aggregators, interactive machine translation, or
corpora). Whether we as faculty lament the fact that these tools have entered
our classrooms, or take comfort in the fact that computer-assisted translation
is nowhere near replacing literary translators, or study in the linguistic
challenges of machine translation as the ultimate simulation of artificial
intelligence, we as foreign language pedagogues can no longer be complacent
about the significance of computer-assisted translation tools and their impact
in our classrooms. Instead, as language pedagogues we can and have to actively
engage on all levels: pragmatic, theoretical, pedagogical, technological, and
linguistic.
Hence, for this interdisciplinary conference the faculty of the Emory College
Language Center – ECLC (http://languagecenter.emory.edu/home/), comprised of
17 languages other than English, invites colleagues from language pedagogy,
linguistics, psychology, philosophy, sociology, computer science, translation
studies, and others to explore the challenges and benefits of using
computer-assisted translation tools in teaching foreign languages.

Call for Papers:

Presenters might address, among other topics, the following:
- Computer-assisted translation as enhancement or deterrent for L2 learning
- Computer-assisted translation and its impact on the honor code
- The effects of computer-assisted translation as a form of access to foreign
language research
- The social and linguistic effects of using computer-assisted translation
tools
- The effects of computer-assisted translation on foreign language as alterity
- Collaborations between linguists and computer scientists
- Linguistic approaches toward machine translation

Please submit the following items to Sarah Shortt (sshortt at emory.edu) by March
15, 2020:
• A one-page CV, and
• an abstract of about 250 words
Four presentations, plus the keynote address will be selected in a special
issue in an appropriate language journal. ECLC faculty will function as
editors of the special issue.

Organizational Details:
Location: Emory Conference Center Hotel, Atlanta, Georgia
Dates: Friday, October 16 – Sunday, October 18, 2020
Proposal submission deadline: March 15, 2020
Registration Fee: $ 175