31.699, FYI: Innovation in Language Teaching: The Case of the Caribbean (Call for Papers)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Feb 18 18:55:51 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-699. Tue Feb 18 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.699, FYI:  Innovation in Language Teaching: The Case of the Caribbean (Call for Papers)

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2020 13:55:40
From: Hayo Reinders [info at innovationinteaching.org]

The Caribbean is an exciting region where several languages coexist and where
learners engage in studying additional or foreign languages (L2) for a variety
of reasons in a wide range of formal and informal settings. Yet, published
accounts of issues relating to L2 learning and teaching in the region are
scarce, which excludes Caribbean L2 learners, teachers and researchers from
ongoing global conversations on L2 learning and teaching. At the same time,
this prevents researchers and practitioners from other parts of the world from
learning from the unique experiences and ideas that have emerged in our
region. We therefore invite contributions for a book publication titled
‘Innovation in Language Teaching: The Case of the Caribbean’, which will be
the fifth of its kind in a series (which includes a total of 17 books)
published by Palgrave Macmillan titled ‘New Language Learning & Teaching
Environments’ (https://www.palgrave.com/gp/series/14736). Previous
publications have featured innovations in Japan, China, The Middle East, and
Thailand. The aim of the book is to report on ways in which researchers and
practitioners tackle the specific challenges facing language education in our
region and the ways in which innovative practices are encouraged, developed,
implemented and sustained. Innovation here is considered to be contextual and
we are interested in hearing from you about your specific situations, the
problems and opportunities you experience and the ways in which you try to
maximise the outcomes for your learners and other stakeholders through
innovative practices. We want to hear about what worked, what did not, and
why, and we want to learn from your experiences so others in the region and
beyond can learn from you. We welcome contributions relating to
early-childhood education and younger learners, academic contexts, adult
learning, corporate settings and all other educational contexts. Abstracts
should make explicit reference to how innovation impacts on current and future
L2 education in the region. Research featuring the main L2s learnt and taught
in the Caribbean (English, French, Spanish, amongst others) will be
considered. We invite abstracts in either English, French or Spanish. Please
submit your abstract (150-200 words) to Diego.Mideros at sta.uwi.edu.
The deadline for submission is April 15 2020.