31.776, Summer Schools: Corpus Linguistics Summer School at the University of Birmingham / United Kingdom

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Feb 25 01:19:52 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-776. Mon Feb 24 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.776, Summer Schools:  Corpus Linguistics Summer School at the University of Birmingham / United Kingdom

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 20:19:43
From: Akira Murakami [clsummerschool at contacts.bham.ac.uk]

Corpus Linguistics Summer School at the University of Birmingham (22-26 June, 2020)

Host Institution: University of Birmingham
Website: https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools/edacs/departments/englishlanguage/events/2020/summer-school-2020.aspx

Dates: 22-Jun-2020 - 26-Jun-2020
Location: Birmingham, United Kingdom

Focus: The summer school is open to undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral students, as well as researchers who want to improve their skills to apply corpus methods in their own research.
Minimum Education Level: No Minimum

We are pleased to announce that the 5th Corpus Linguistics Summer School will
take place at the University of Birmingham, UK, on 22-26 June, 2020.
https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools/edacs/departments/englishlanguage/events/
2020/summer-school-2020.aspx

Attendance is open to all on a first-come-first-served basis upon completion
of the registration process (including payment) through the university’s
online shop linked from the above website.

Registration fee: £165 for students and £210 for non-students

Speakers:

This year, our participants will have the pleasure to hear contributions by
Bethany Gray (Iowa State University), and members of our local staff of corpus
linguistics, including Matteo Fuoli, Jason Grafmiller, Jack Grieve, Susan
Hunston, Michaela Mahlberg, Petar Milin, Akira Murakami, Adam Schembri, Paul
Thompson, and Viola Wiegand, among others. Dagmar Divjak will be delivering
the annual Sinclair Lecture during the Summer School.

Programme:

Our Corpus Linguistics Summer School aims to equip participants with critical
expertise in both theory and practice of corpus-based linguistic research.
Over the course of five days, participants will be actively involved in two
kinds of sessions. First, hands-on sessions will put the emphasis on the
learning of practical skills for the purpose of extracting, annotating, and
analysing corpus data of various kinds, and the application of this knowledge
to specific research projects. Second, participants will also learn about
current corpus-based research.

Topics of sessions will include (non-exhaustively):

- Corpus tools and specialized software
- Annotation and processing of corpus data
- Statistics in corpus linguistics
- Data exploration
- Social media and Big Data
- Pattern Grammar and applied corpus linguistics
- Digital humanities and the study of literature
- Sign language corpora

Linguistic Field(s): Text/Corpus Linguistics

Tuition Explanation: £165 for students and £210 for non-students

Registration: 17-Feb-2020 to 21-Jun-2020

Contact Person: Akira Murakami
                Email: clsummerschool at contacts.bham.ac.uk

Registration Instructions:
For more information and registration, please visit the website below: