30.4953, TOC: Stellenbosch Papers in Linguistics 57 (2019)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Jan 1 01:27:27 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-4953. Tue Dec 31 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.4953, TOC:  Stellenbosch Papers in Linguistics 57 (2019)

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 20:27:19
From: Kate Huddlestone [katevg at sun.ac.za]
Subject: Stellenbosch Papers in Linguistics Vol. 57 (2019)

Publisher:	Department of General Linguistics, Stellenbosch University
			http://www.sun.ac.za/english/faculty/arts/linguistics/

Journal Title:  Stellenbosch Papers in Linguistics
Volume Number:  57
Issue Number:  -
Issue Date:  2019

Subtitle:  Special issue for Sharifa Daniels: Space, Place and Power in South African Writing Centres

Main Text:

Guest Editors:
Rose Richards, Anne-Mari-Lackay & Selene Delport

Cover illustration: Neeske Alexander
Copy editor: Lauren Onraët

https://spilplus.journals.ac.za/pub/issue/view/94

Table of Contents

Introduction:

Space, place, and power in South African writing centres: Special issue in
honour of Sharifa Daniels
Rose Richards, Anne-Mari-Lackay and Selene Delport
Pages i-xiv

Interview:

An interview with Sharifa Daniels
Rebecca Day Babcock
Pages xv-xx

Articles:

Theme 1: The writing centre, space, and place

“We are not a ‘fix-it shop’!”: The writing centre as a uniquely configured
learning space
Puleng Sefalane-Nkohla and Thembinkosi Mtonjeni
Pages 1-23

Writing centres as dialogic spaces: Negotiating conflicting discourses around
citation and plagiarism
Karis Moxley and Arlene Archer
Pages 25-37

In-between access and transformation: Analysing a university writing centre’s
academic support programme for education students as third space
Halima Namakula and Maria Prozesky
Pages 39-56

Theme 2: The writing centre and online spaces

Evaluating the synthesis model of tutoring across the educational spectrum
Rebecca Day Babcock, Aliethia Dean, Victoria Hinesly and Aileen Taft
Pages 57-77

Decentering and recentering the writing centre using online feedback: Towards
a collaborative model of integrating academic literacies development
Karen Collett and Arona Dison
Pages 79-98

>From physical to online spaces in the age of the #FeesMustFall protests: A
Critical Interpretative Synthesis of writing centres in emergency situations
Robert Doya Nanima
Pages 99-116

Theme 3: The writing centre and power

Exploring the gap between what we say and what we do: Writing centres,
‘safety’, and ‘risk’ in higher education
Sherran Clarence
Pages 117-130

Writing within simultaneity: A reflective progress report through letters from
the Wits Writing Programme
Pamela Nichols, Zimitri Erasmus, Nomonde Ntsepo, Lerato Mlahleki, Keanu
Mabalane, Khensani Ngobeni and Lew Is Ckool
Pages 131-147

Developing agency in a writing centre context: A Social Realist interpretation
Fatima Slemming
Pages 149-168

Theme 4: Writing consultants’ agency

Negotiating new ways of developing writing in disciplinary spaces: The
changing role of writing consultants at the Wits School of Education Writing
Centre
Emure Kadenge, Laura Dison, Wacango Kimani and Halima Namakula
Pages 169-182

Writing centre consultants as critical friends
Janine Carlse
Pages183-194

Aiming beyond the written, to the writer and writing: The writing consultation
as a mentoring process for life-long writing
Collium Banda
Pages 195-205

Research Notes:

Adapting Writing Laboratory activities to different spaces and cultures
Diana B. Njweipi-Kongor
Pages 207-208

Clear mind, full head, can’t lose
Maud Bonato
Page 209

Power dynamics in writing consultations and potential lessons for teaching: An
English Studies perspective
Cleo Beth Theron
Pages 211-214

>From the Writing Lab to the ESL classroom
Carla-Marié Spies-Gaum
Pages 215-217

Seeing the writer behind the writing: How the Writing Lab influenced my
feedback-giving practices
Martina van Heerden
Pages  219-220

Then and now: The relevance of the writing consultant experience today
Gerhardus D. du Preez
Pages 221-223

Using reflective pedagogy to improve writing consultant practice
Venita Januarie
Pages 225-229

Endnote:

The Writing Lab: A comic