30.4973, Calls: Computational Linguistics, Lexicography, Semantics/France

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Jan 1 02:29:44 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-4973. Tue Dec 31 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.4973, Calls: Computational Linguistics, Lexicography, Semantics/France

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 21:29:05
From: Itziar Gonzalez-Dios [itziar.gonzalezd at ehu.eus]
Subject: Multimodal Wordnets Workshop @ LREC 2020

Full Title: Multimodal Wordnets Workshop @ LREC 2020

Date: 11-May-2020 - 11-May-2020
Location: Marseille, France
Contact Person: Itziar Gonzalez-Dios
Meeting Email: itziar.gonzalezd at ehu.eus
Web Site: http://hitz.eus/multimodalwordnets2020/

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics; Lexicography; Semantics

Call Deadline: 14-Feb-2020

Meeting Description:

Nowadays, data can be found in many different formats and multimodal
approaches are gaining attention. Many research areas are moving  from a
single modality to full-fledged multimodality research, e.g. multimodal
corpora, multimodal lexicons, etc. For instance, efforts are being made to
integrate images, sign languages, sounds, etc. into existing wordnets. As the
exchange of information among modalities can be crucial for lexical databases,
we want to address this interdisciplinary research area in the first Workshop
on “Multimodal wordnets”, co-located with LREC 2020 and organized by the
Global Wordnet Association.

Call for Papers:

Multimodal wordnets workshop @ LREC 2020

Venue: Palais du Pharo, Marseille, France; LREC 2020
Website: http://hitz.eus/multimodalwordnets2020/
Submission page: https://www.softconf.com/lrec2020/MMW2020/
Hashtag: #mmwn20

Topics of Interest:

- The workshop aims at studying the interaction and cross-fertilization
between wordnets and existing multimodal resources. We invite submissions with
original contributions addressing, but not limited to, the topics listed
below.

- What are the benefits/drawbacks of multimodal wordnets?  How can wordnets
help in the transmission and characterization of multimedia information?

- To what extent is it possible to create wordnets in other modalities?

- Which new multimodal initiatives and projects are being carried out
involving distinct modalities (written, spoken, audio-visual, signs,
pictograms, emojis, geographical and spatio-temporal data...)  and knowledge
representations (wordnets, lexicons, ontologies, terminologies, dictionaries,
corpora, wikipedias, distributional representations, cultural artifacts,
books...)?

- What are (can be) the practical applications of multimodal wordnets? How to
exploit existing multimodal wordnets, such as Visual Genome, ConceptNet,
ImageNet, Imagact, etc.? Sense disambiguation on corpora, images, space role
labeling, multimodal knowledge acquisition, commonsense reasoning and
inference, distributed concept representation, integration of distributional
(corpus-based) and knowledge-based embeddings...

- Which approaches are being developed to create these multimodal resources?
How can they be best represented?

- How to automatically map existing resources? How can we deal with similarity
and relatedness across modality?
How can we deal with specificity? Image, sound, smell, touch, video are all
infinitely specific but words are not.

- What is the added value of wordnet hierarchies to other modalities? Which is
the role of the multimodal wordnets? Which is the expected format of the
resources? Which standards to adopt or to develop?
How can we feed and feed back the algorithms with multimodal wordnets?

- Which ethical policies should be followed? (see for instance,
https://www.excavating.ai/)

Submission Details:

Submissions will fall into one of the following categories (page limits
exclude references):
Long papers: 8 pages max; 30 minutes presentation
Short papers: 5 pages max; 15 minutes presentation
Poster presentations

Papers must be compliant with the stylesheet adopted for the main conference
Proceedings: https://lrec2020.lrec-conf.org/en/submission2020/authors-kit/

Follow this link (https://www.softconf.com/lrec2020/MMW2020/) in START
Conference Manager to submit your paper.

Identify, Describe and Share your LRs!