31.10, Calls: Applied Linguistics/France

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Jan 2 11:27:36 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-10. Thu Jan 02 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.10, Calls: Applied Linguistics/France

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2020 06:26:47
From: Joséphine Rémon [josephine.remon at univ-lyon2.fr]
Subject: Interactions Multimodales par Ecran

Full Title: Interactions Multimodales par Ecran
Short Title: IMPEC 2020

Date: 01-Jul-2020 - 03-Jul-2020
Location: LYON, France
Contact Person: Christine Develotte
Meeting Email: groupe.impec at gmail.com
Web Site: https://impec.sciencesconf.org/resource/page/id/56

Call Deadline: 19-Jan-2020

Meeting Description:

In keeping with the 2018 conference which examined the relationships between
bodies and screens, the 2020 IMPEC conference (July 1-3, 2020, ENS Lyon) will
focus on the theme of sensorialities. Indeed, the question of the sensible,
i.e. what can be perceived by the senses, and its relationship with screens,
is at the core of the screen-based studies that the IMPEC group considers to
be its principal research focus, no matter the situation: games, work, or any
other communicative situation.

Call for Papers:

These new relationships can be studied through the following subtopics:

A/ What role do the five senses play in interactions through/with/in screens?

Classically, from the Western physiological point of view, it is understood
that human beings possess five senses corresponding to perception receptors.
Numerous other works have shown that sensoriality can exist in a more global
form in which the distinction between senses is not self-evident.

B/ Towards screen-based sensorialities?

Screens (tablets, smartphones, computers, etc.) rely predominantly on vision
and hearing, the two senses that Western culture has traditionally privileged,
thus excluding smell and taste. Touch, which has the particular status of
being the only sense that leads to immediate reciprocity (to touch implies
being touched), has found (again), thanks to its link with the eyes, a central
role in screen-based interactions, which nevertheless appear to put its
quality of immediate reciprocity to the test. What is the significance of
these modifications on the interactions and on screen-based exchanges, and
more generally on our sensory experience? Is it a remarkable transformation in
the traditional Western hierarchisation of the senses? Can a new form of
“disembodiment” be observed? Or on the contrary, can we talk about new forms
of inclusion of our proximal senses (senses implying a close target of the
sensory receptor, like touch, smell, and taste) compared to distant senses
(like sight and hearing)? If so, in what contexts?

C/ How are “screen-based uses of the senses” called up and invested in
interactions with particular stakes?

The theme of sensorialities in screen-based interactions offers a unique
viewpoint in order to examine how people involved in these interactions have
access to digital technology.

In particular, in what ways can screen-based interactions be an occasion to
question disabilities, especially sensorial ones? What role is played by
perceptive replacements, for example? What sensorial education can be
considered in this context?

The theme of sensorialities can also lead to specific questions based on
generational differences. How can the generational and transgenerational
dimension be integrated into these reflections and studies?

D/ What methodologies can be used to study the relationships between senses
and screens?

The methodologies deployed for studying relations between sensoarialities and
screens must be questionned. For instance what set-up can be used to account
for and capture the sensorial dimension in screen-based interactions? How can
we report on this dimension in data mining and based on what cues? And how
will the analyses eventually account for this dimension?

We will also appreciate the study of other questions regarding the
relationship between sensorialities and screens, for this 2020 edition. This
conference is meant to cater for interdisciplinarity: We will thus encourage
submissions looking at interdisciplinary links between different fields of
practice, even if speaking from a specific disciplinary grounding.

We will be particularly looking forward to proposals reflecting upon mixed
methodological frameworks or accounting for the experiencing of such a mixed
approach, or else presenting innovative methodologies.

There are three types of submissions:

- oral presentations
- symposia
- workshops

Details about the submission procedures can be found here:

https://impec.sciencesconf.org/resource/page/id/57