31.40, Qs: Help tracing James Higginbotham quotation and ms

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sat Jan 4 03:16:00 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-40. Fri Jan 03 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.40, Qs: Help tracing James Higginbotham quotation and ms

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2020 22:15:27
From: Nicholas Allott [nicholas.allott at gmail.com]

I'm trying to trace the following quotation for a colleague:

"Naturally, it is a good thing to know both what is represented and how it is
represented; and it may seem that one can combine these aims by thinking of
the elements of what is known as themselves mental representations. I think
this move breeds confusion. In the case of grammar in particular, I believe
that a great deal of confusion has been caused by thinking of the typical
notions of grammar, such as noun and sentence, as notions of mental
representations. ... There is no more reason to say that nouns or sentences
are representations than there is to say that numbers, or even chairs or human
beings are mental representations."

It's labelled 'Higginbotham 1996' but this may be inaccurate.

There is apparently an unpublished manuscript by Higginbotham called 'Semantic
Computation' and cited in a few places as from 1996, and we suspect that the
quotation may be from this. If you have a copy of this manuscript that you can
share, I'd be very happy indeed to have it, whether or not it contains the
above quotation.

Please send any replies to me off-list, to nicholas.allott AT gmail.com and/or
n.e.allott AT ilos.uio.no

Many thanks,
Nick

Nicholas Allott

Senior lecturer,
Department of Literature, Area Studies and European Languages,
University of Oslo

Honorary research associate, Department of Linguistics, University College
London

http://www.hf.uio.no/ilos/english/people/aca/nicholea/

Linguistic Field(s): Discipline of Linguistics