31.51, Books: Language Unlimited: Adger

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sat Jan 4 05:13:03 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-51. Sat Jan 04 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.51, Books: Language Unlimited: Adger

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Jeremy Coburn <jecoburn at linguistlist.org>

Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2020 00:12:50
From:  Oxford University Press [HumanitiesMarketing at oup.com]
Subject: Language Unlimited: Adger

Title: Language Unlimited
Subtitle: The Science Behind Our Most Creative Power
Publication Year: 2019
Publisher: Oxford University Press
	   http://www.oup.com/us

Book URL: https://global.oup.com/academic/product/language-unlimited-9780198828099?q=9780198828099&cc=us&lang=en

Author: David Adger

Hardback: ISBN:  9780198828099 Pages: 272 Price: U.S. $ 25.95

Abstract:

All humans, but no other species, have the capacity to create and understand
language. It provides structure to our thoughts, allowing us to plan,
communicate, and create new ideas, without limit. Yet we have only finite
experiences, and our languages have finite stores of words. Where does our
linguistic creativity come from? How does the endless scope of language emerge
from our limited selves?

Drawing on research from neuroscience, psychology, and linguistics, David
Adger takes the reader on a journey to the hidden structure behind all we say
(or sign) and understand. Along the way you'll meet children who created
language out of almost nothing, and find out how new languages emerge using
structures found in languages spoken continents away. David Adger will show
you how the more than 7000 languages in the world appear to obey the same deep
scientific laws, how to invent a language that breaks these, and how our
brains go crazy when we try to learn languages that just aren't possible.
You'll discover why rats are better than we are at picking up certain language
patterns, why apes are far worse at others, and how artificial intelligences,
such as those behind Alexa and Siri, understand language in a very un-human
way.

Language Unlimited explores the many mysteries about our capacity for language
and reveals the source of its endless creativity.

Linguistic Field(s): Psycholinguistics

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=139673