31.142, FYI: LSA Linguistic Institute 2021: Call for Course Proposals

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Jan 10 19:29:14 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-142. Fri Jan 10 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.142, FYI:  LSA Linguistic Institute 2021: Call for Course Proposals

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2020 14:29:01
From: Ana Arregui [lsa-call at umass.edu]

Call for course proposals for the LSA Linguistic Institute 2021.

The next LSA Linguistic Institute will be held at the University of
Massachusetts, Amherst, from June 14 until July 9 2021. The theme of the
Institute is “Linguistics as cognitive science: Universality and Variation.”

We are currently accepting proposals for additional courses to be offered
during the Institute. These courses will complement courses taught by faculty
invited by the Institute's organizing committee. The aim is to develop a
course offering that will provide a broad coverage of linguistics, including
introductory courses to various areas in the field as well as exciting
advanced courses in topical research areas.

We invite course proposals in all areas of linguistics, and are particularly
interested in contributions (broadly) related to the Institute's theme. Most
of the Institute courses will last four weeks, but there will also be a
portion of two-week courses. Courses (either 4-week or 2-week) will meet twice
a week, with two 90 min class sessions (a total of 8 class sessions for 4-week
courses and 4 class sessions for 2-week courses).

For the instructors of the accepted courses, the Institute will cover the
costs of travel, University housing and will provide a small honorarium.
Proposals to co-teach are welcome and we expect to be able to cover travel
costs for all course instructors (the honorarium will be divided between the
instructors).

Proposals should take the following form:

- Course title and instructors
- Length of course (2 weeks or 4 weeks)
- A short course description (no more than 500 words)
- A brief explanation of the motivation for the course (no more than 200
words), including relevance to the theme of the Institute if applicable
- An outline of course topics or readings (enough to give us a sense of how
your course would fit into its timeframe).

Please include in your proposal any additional activities you foresee that may
link your course to other Institute events (such as workshops, other courses,
collaborations, etc.). If you are not a current member of the LSA, we strongly
encourage you to consider (re)joining the Society.

Proposals should avoid overlap with courses already planned for the 2021
Institute, which can be found at https://blogs.umass.edu/kbj.

The deadline for the receipt of course proposals is May 1, 2020. Proposals
should be submitted as pdf to lsa-call at umass.edu.