31.199, FYI: Workshop in honor of Jeanette K. Gundel (UMN)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Jan 14 20:15:22 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-199. Tue Jan 14 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.199, FYI:  Workshop in honor of Jeanette K. Gundel (UMN)

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 15:15:17
From: Liz Olson [lizolson at umn.edu]
Subject: Workshop in honor of Jeanette K. Gundel (UMN)

Workshop in honor of Jeanette K. Gundel
Friday, April 17, 2020
University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
Minneapolis, MN

Workshop Announcement and Call for Posters

The Institute of Linguistics at the University of Minnesota will host a
workshop on April 17, 2020, to celebrate the life and work of Professor
Jeanette K. Gundel.  Jeanette was a professor of Linguistics at the University
of Minnesota from 1980 until her passing in 2019; her vision and voice left an
indelible mark on our not only our linguistics program, but also on the Center
for Cognitive Science. The workshop will include a poster session that is open
to any who wish to participate.

Jeanette’s groundbreaking research on pragmatics set the course for scholars
of reference and information structure, in particular with her role in
developing the Givenness Hierarchy (Gundel, Hedberg, and Zacharski 1993).  As
a faculty member in Linguistics, Jeanette’s advising and mentorship supported
and guided students working in a range of areas, some far beyond her main
research interests.  Jeanette’s research and leadership of the Linguistics
program emphasized the place that the study of the human mental capacity for
language occupies among the cognitive sciences. This cognitive perspective was
also reflected in Jeanette’s deep commitment to the Center for Cognitive
Science, where she engaged in active collaborations and mentored a number of
PhD students.

Invited Speakers:

Nancy Hedberg (Simon Fraser University)
Ron Zacharski (University of Mary Washington)

To recognize the breadth of Jeanette’s interests and influences, we welcome
posters that:
1. relate to any facet of Jeanette’s research or
2. represent research by her former students, colleagues, or collaborators in
any area of linguistics, cognitive science, or related disciplines.

If you plan to attend, please register for the workshop at
https://z.umn.edu/gundel-registration by March 6, 2020.  If you would like to
present a poster, include a provisional title and brief abstract/description
(no more than 250 words) on your registration form.  Registration for the
workshop is free.

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science
                     Pragmatics