31.273, Calls: Cognitive Science, Computational Linguistics, Lexicography, Semantics, Syntax, Text/Corpus Linguistics, Translation/France

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Jan 21 21:26:53 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-273. Tue Jan 21 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.273, Calls: Cognitive Science, Computational Linguistics, Lexicography, Semantics, Syntax, Text/Corpus Linguistics, Translation/France

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 16:25:58
From: Tiago Torrent [tiago.torrent at ufjf.edu.br]
Subject: International FrameNet Workshop 2020

Full Title: International FrameNet Workshop 2020
Short Title: IFNW2020

Date: 16-May-2020 - 16-May-2020
Location: Marseille, France
Contact Person: Tiago Torrent
Meeting Email: tiago.torrent at ufjf.edu.br
Web Site: https://www.globalframenet.org/ifnw2020

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; Lexicography; Semantics; Syntax; Text/Corpus Linguistics; Translation

Call Deadline: 15-Feb-2020

Meeting Description:

The International FrameNet Workshop 2020: Towards a Global, Multilingual
FrameNet, collocated with LREC, in Marseille, France, will bring together
researchers in Frame Semantics and Construction Grammar, two areas which have
traditionally been interrelated, but which have been developing somewhat
independently in recent years. It is also addressed at language technology
researchers working with language resources based on Frame Semantics or
Construction Grammar. IFNW 2020 follows from three previous editions, one in
2018, held in Miyazaki, Japan, one in 2016, held in Juiz de Fora, Brazil, and
one in 2013, held in Berkeley, USA.

Call for Papers:

Starting from the original FrameNet project (for English) at the International
Computer Science Institute (ICSI), projects for lexical resources based on
Frame Semantics have sprouted in more than a dozen countries, with major
efforts including Spanish, Japanese, Swedish, Brazilian Portuguese, Chinese,
German, French, Korean, Dutch, Latvian, Finnish, and Hebrew, and a variety of
other languages. Continuing the series of International FrameNet Workshops in
2013, 2016, 2017, and 2018, this one-day workshop will promote the exchange of
ideas, data,  techniques, and software among these projects and their many
users. We welcome papers discussing the differences and similarities between
work on Frame Semantics in different languages from both theoretical and
practical perspectives.

The theoretical papers might include questions such as:

What determines which frames are similar (or essentially identical) across
languages? How can we characterize the differences between frames across
languages?
What can we learn from parallel annotation in general and the current TED talk
parallel annotation in particular?  How does that relate to translation theory
and practice?
What can we learn from or contribute to other meaning representations such as
PropBank, AMR, UCCA predicate logic, etc.?  How can we integrate frames for
general vocabulary with those for specialized domains? Are there semantic
domains where Frame Semantics does not seem applicable?

Practical papers might discuss questions such as:

How can we improve collaboration between Frame Semantic projects for different
languages? Are there methods to design databases, create software, do
annotation, etc. that will facilitate reuse, especially by new projects? What
role could/should/do machine learning and machine translation play in
developing FrameNets?
What policies regarding public release of data are in place for each project?
Should we aim at a common policy?  Should there be limitations on the use of
FrameNet data? If so, what?  What role does/could commercial support play in
your work?
What relation is there now or should there be between projects which are
primarily based on Frame Semantics and those primarily based on Construction
Grammar? Between Frame Semantic projects and those based on other meaning
representations or aggregations of representations, such as Uby, BabelNet, and
Framester?
Part of the meeting will be devoted to presentation of oral papers and
posters. However, given the very different situations of the various projects,
we will also allow ample time for small group and informal discussions, which
are often the best way to promote mutual understanding and cooperation, and to
resolve practical questions.

All submissions must follow the LREC formatting guidelines and be submitted
via the START page (https://www.softconf.com/lrec2020/Framenet2020/). When
submitting a paper, authors will be asked to provide essential information
about resources (in a broad sense, i.e. also technologies, standards,
evaluation kits, etc.) that have been used for the work described in the paper
or are a new result of your research. Moreover, ELRA encourages all LREC
authors to share the described LRs (data, tools, services, etc.) to enable
their reuse and replicability of experiments (including evaluations).