31.314, Calls: Phonology/Canada

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Jan 22 22:51:58 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-314. Wed Jan 22 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.314, Calls: Phonology/Canada

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 17:51:14
From: Charles Reiss [charles.reiss at concordia.ca]
Subject: Eleventh North American Phonology Conference

Full Title: Eleventh North American Phonology Conference
Short Title: NAPhCxi

Date: 08-May-2020 - 09-May-2020
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Contact Person: Charles Reiss
Meeting Email: cognitivescience at concordia.ca
Web Site: http://linguistics.concordia.ca/naphcxi/

Linguistic Field(s): Phonology

Call Deadline: 23-Feb-2020

Meeting Description:

This is the 20th Anniversary of the North American Phonology Conference, held
every other year since 2000 at Concordia University in Montreal. The
conference focuses on phonological theory in the I-language tradition.

Theme: The Argument from the Poverty of the Stimulus in Phonology

Despite its importance in discussions of nativism in syntax, the Argument from
the Poverty of the Stimulus (PoS) is hardly mentioned in the phonological
literature. Halle's (1978) 'Knowledge Unlearned and Untaught' provides a PoS
argument, but does not invoke the term. For the most part, the phonological
literature only mentions PoS in order to reject it: ''Many of the arguments
for UG in other domains do not hold for phonology. For example, there is
little evidence of a learnability problem in phonology'' (Mielke, 2008);
''features cannot be innately defined, but must be learned'' (Archangeli &
Pulleyblank, 2015); ''there is no poverty of the stimulus argument in
phonology'' (Carr 2006); ''[I offer] general arguments against the 'poverty of
stimulus' in phonology'' (Blevins 2004). To take two random examples, neither
the 2015 Routledge Handbook of Phonological Theory (Hannahs and Bosch) nor the
published version of Prince and Smolensky's foundational OT work (1993/2004)
mention PoS. Despite explicit reference to Universal Grammar, the latter also
lacks the terms ''innate'' and ''nativist''. Kraemer (2015) points out that
some work in OT suggests that there is no need to posit a universal set of
markedness constraints because they can be discovered by a learner monitoring
their own production and perception.

Call for Papers:

We invite abstracts for NAPhCxi on all topics in phonology from the I-language
perspective, but especially those providing discussion of the status of the
Argument from the Poverty of the Stimulus in Phonology.

Abstract Guidelines:
Deadline: February 23, 2020 (Sunday)
Format: pdf file
Anonymous abstract
Length: 1-4 pages
Submission by email to cognitivescience at concordia.ca
In message, provide the paper's title and the names of all authors along with
their affiliations and status (student, prof, etc).

Results will be sent out by March 8, 2020. Some abstracts will be accepted for
poster presentation.