31.357, FYI: Linguistic Social Justice - Edited Collection Call

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Jan 24 17:07:53 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-357. Fri Jan 24 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.357, FYI:  Linguistic Social Justice - Edited Collection Call

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 12:07:45
From: Michelle Ramos Pellicia [mramos at csusm.edu]

Linguistic Social Justice
Call for Contributions
Abstracts Due: 23 February 2020

We invite submissions of original scholarship for an edited collection of
works centering on topics related to social justice paying particular
attention to Spanish language and/or Spanish-speaking communities. Because the
Spanish language is intimately intertwined with issues of culture and
identity, the language is often used as a proxy for prejudice and
discrimination. However, the Spanish language can also play a pivotal role in
approaching and resolving conflicts, providing access to information, and
providing a forum for grassroots agency. We are interested in not only calling
attention to areas where language-based injustices exist or an imbalance of
access to services is found, but also in providing solutions to ameliorating
these disparities.

Given that Spanish-speaking communities are increasing in size while they are
simultaneously being marginalized and targeted for legal sanctions,
educational remediation and social condemnation, our goal is to gather a
collection of pioneering, unpublished research from a variety of disciplines
that can serve as foundational references for interdisciplinary scholars for
years to come. We are particularly interested in scholarship that reflects
sustainable efforts highlighting the Spanish language as key to achieving one
or more of the following goals 1) developing and engaging the cultural and
linguistic wealth of Spanish-speaking communities; 2) empowering community
members to participate in civic engagement activities; 3) enhancing
educational outcomes at any level; and 4) providing a path for social,
economic and educational parity. Please do not submit works that only measure
affective outcomes of learners or study participants.

Editors: Michelle Ramos Pellicia (California State University, San Marcos),
Patricia MacGregor-Mendoza (New Mexico State University), Mercedes Niño-Murcia
(University of Iowa),

Topics: Papers may be from any discipline and may include but are not limited
to the use of the Spanish language as a means to:

- enhance social awareness, critical language awareness, and civic engagement,
etc.
- inform, empower and engage communities in order to resolve inequities in the
distribution and access to knowledge, goods and services (e.g. internet,
medical services, legal services, banking services, voter information and
voting booths, libraries and books, etc.).
- enhance critical thinking, promote learning and improve learning outcomes in
students.
- foster leadership, resilience, school change, agency on the part of
Spanish-speaking communities.
- promote economic stability/security, political voice, and the
stability/security of immigration status, etc.
- Illustrate/counteract the hegemony of the English language in the U.S. in
politics, in education, in the economy, etc.
- address the trauma of acts of physical, verbal or symbolic violence against
Spanish-speaking communities.

Submissions: We are preparing a formal publication proposal of the projected
contributions and authors. To initiate our selection process, we request
submissions of abstracts which we will then use to invite authors to submit
full papers. Please note that acceptance of an abstract does not constitute
acceptance of the paper. Each paper will undergo a blind peer-review by at
least two experts as well as one or more rounds of internal review among the
editors prior to confirming acceptance for publication. Authors interested in
being considered for publication should submit the following documentation.

As soon as possible, but no later than February , 2020, the following
documents as separate PDF or Word attachments to a single email to
mramoscsusm.edu. (Please place “Linguistic Social Justice” in the e-mail
subject line for ease of identification.):

- Title of contribution, Contact information for all authors (name,
institutional affiliation, e-mail address, physical address, and phone
number), as well as name, institutional affiliation, and e-mail address of two
suggested reviewers.
- Title of contribution, a 500 word abstract (which includes research
questions, methodology, number of participants, context, and general
findings/conclusions). Please also include a list of initial bibliographic
references (not subject to word count) immediately after your abstract.
- An abbreviated C.V., for each contributing author limited to 2 pages for
each person.

Tentative Timeline (Revised):

February 23, 2020:  Receipt of abstracts from potential contributors

April 1, 2020:  Submission of formal proposal

June 15, 2020: : Notice of invitation to submit full papers for consideration
sent to authors with publication guidelines (NB: provisional acceptance of
abstract does not constitute acceptance of paper)

September 1, 2020: Collect completed draft manuscripts from all contributors

October 1, 2020 – February 15th, 2021: Obtain two peer reviews per manuscript
(acceptance of manuscripts will be determined after internal and external
reviews are complete.)

April 1, 2021: Receive completed and revised manuscripts from contributors

June 1, 2021: Finalized manuscripts of all contributions in the collection
submitted for publication

Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics

Subject Language(s): Spanish (spa)