31.2146, FYI: Association for Laboratory Phonology: New Membership Rates

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Jul 2 16:13:42 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-2146. Thu Jul 02 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.2146, FYI: Association for Laboratory Phonology: New Membership Rates

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2020 12:11:16
From: Molly Babel [Molly.Babel at ubc.ca]

Dear Colleagues,

I’m writing to request your assistance in helping us promote new discounted
membership rates for the Association for Laboratory Phonology (ALP or LabPhon)
by reaching out to eligible people working in economically less-advantaged
countries. Currently, over 90% of current ALP members are from the United
States, Germany, Canada, United Kingdom, Netherlands, Australia, France,
Japan, Spain, South Korea, New Zealand, or Italy. In order to broaden our
research community, new discounted membership rates are available for
individuals working in economically less-advantaged countries. As we work to
extend the reach of the LabPhon community, we encourage you to share this
message with colleagues in eligible countries.

The new discounted membership rates for those in List 2 countries below. Note
that all rates are in US dollars.

- Full Membership is $40 for two years
- Student Membership is free
- Anyone can choose to pay the rates for List 1 countries if they are able to
Additionally, students from countries in List 2 who study in places in List 1
may request to have their membership fee waived, if they show that their home
country better captures their ability to pay (e.g., if they receive no
financial aid where they go to school).

List 2 includes the following:

AFRICA: Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon,
Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Republic of the Congo,
The Democratic Republic of the Congo, Côte d'Ivoire, Djibouti, Egypt,
Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea,
Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritania,
Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and
Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan,
Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Western Sahara, Zambia, Zimbabwe

ASIA: Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Cambodia, China,
Georgia, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon,
Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, North Korea, Pakistan, Palestine,
Philippines, Sri Lanka, Syria, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste,
Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen

EUROPE: Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Moldova, North Macedonia,
Serbia, Ukraine

NORTH AMERICA: Antigua and Barbuda, Belize, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominica,
Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica,
Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent
and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago

SOUTH AMERICA: Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru,
Suriname, Venezuela

OCEANIA: Fiji, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia,
Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu

Membership fees support the ALP’s open access journal Laboratory Phonology,
which is free to both authors and readers. The rest of our membership income
supports the association's website, student conference travel, and other
activities of the association. Registration
(https://labphon.org/content/labphon17-registration) for the virtual meeting
of LabPhon 17 (https://labphon.org/labphon17) is free for all members of the
Association for Laboratory Phonology, which is an excellent reason to become a
member now. All membership information is available on the ALP website
(https://labphon.org/content/membership).

For reference, membership rates for those in List 1 countries are as follows:

Full Membership is $210 for two years
There is a multiyear discount: $600 for 6 years and $1200 for 12 years
Student Membership is $80 for two years

For the full set of list 1 countries visit:
https://labphon.org/content/membership

Thank you for helping spread the word and broaden our LabPhon world!

Best,
Molly Babel
Chair of the Association of Laboratory Phonology Events and Outreach Committee

Linguistic Field(s): Phonology