31.2215, Calls: Anthro Ling, Applied Ling, Disc Analysis, Lang Acq, Socioling/Austria and Online

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Jul 8 16:30:35 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-2215. Wed Jul 08 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.2215, Calls: Anthro Ling, Applied Ling, Disc Analysis, Lang Acq, Socioling/Austria and Online

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2020 12:29:46
From: Ute Smit [ute.smit at univie.ac.at]
Subject: #YouthMediaLife

Full Title: #YouthMediaLife

Date: 29-Mar-2021 - 01-Apr-2021
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact Person: Cornelia Schantl
Meeting Email: yml2021 at univie.ac.at
Web Site: http://youthmedialife.univie.ac.at/

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; Applied Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; Language Acquisition; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 15-Aug-2020

Meeting Description:

In mediatised cultures, people are engaged in increasingly complex networks of
digital and analogue media practices through which they construct, experience,
and share their lifeworlds. In the interdisciplinary research platform
#YouthMediaLife at the University of Vienna, scholars have been engaged with
such mediatised lifeworlds, specifically of young people, since May 2018.
#YouthMediaLife 2021 invites international experts from various fields to
share their research and perspectives on young people's mediatised lifeworlds.

Confirmed keynote speakers:
Susanne Baumgartner, Amsterdam University, The Netherlands
Rodney Jones, University of Reading, UK
Axel Krommer, University Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany
Dafna Lemish, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, USA

Call for Papers:

Our three-day conference will bring together scholars from a range of
disciplines to discuss topics concerning young people's media lifeworlds:
their relationships, their learning, and their identity formations in the
context of their media practices.

A better understanding of digital change in young people's lifeworlds requires
a productive combination of disciplinary and interdisciplinary work that helps
us all make sense of some of the developments we observe. We invite abstracts
for papers on a list of possible topics (see
https://youthmedialife2021.univie.ac.at/call-for-papers/ for a full list).

We invite abstracts for the following presentation formats:
 - posters to be presented in dedicated poster sessions (200 words max.)
 - individual papers (20-minute speaking time + 10 minutes for discussion; 350
words max.)
 - organised panels / symposia of up to 90 minutes in total (350 words max.
for the frame
 - abstract and 200 words max. for each individual contribution; 3-5
contributions)

For your submissions, please use the form on our website.

In light of the CoVid19-Pandemic and related travel restrictions and health
concerns, but also with a view to financial and environmental concerns, we
have decided to work on an integrated conference mode that allows both on-site
and online participants to interact and take part in conference activities. We
are committed to making this conference the best possible experience for
everyone involved and will keep you posted on the developments on our side.

We have also decided to extend our call for papers until August 15. At this
stage, you do not have to decide whether you can and want to come to Vienna or
participate online. In either case, we are looking forward to your abstract!

For our wonderful line-up of keynote speakers and more details see
https://youthmedialife2021.univie.ac.at/.