31.2266, Qs: Third-age Language Learning Needs Questionnaire

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Jul 14 10:49:15 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-2266. Tue Jul 14 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.2266, Qs: Third-age Language Learning Needs Questionnaire

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2020 06:48:51
From: Louisa Richter [l.s.richter at student.rug.nl]

Recent studies seem to show language learning might have positive effects on
the brain. This might mean language learning could be used as a tool for
healthy ageing. However, more research is needed. This is why the University
of Groningen has started a big study investigating language learning in
seniors. As part of this study we are interested in the language learning
needs of seniors, in order to develop efficient teaching materials for
language courses specifically designed for seniors.

To find out what these language learning needs are and how seniors believe the
ideal language course to be, we developed a questionnaire. It takes
approximately 20 min to fill out the survey and you must be 65 or older to
participate.

The questionnaire is available in 4 languages:

German: https://rug.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_81gyOPmdbQ3vFdj

English: https://rug.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3Wpd6cFOb7bEAgl

Spanish: https://rug.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0uIktTa2scQbxkh

Dutch: https://rug.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9Y7tD67fIEJzfGR

If you have any questions, feel free to message Louisa Richter
(l.s.richter at student.rug.nl) or Mara van der Ploeg (a.m.van.der.ploeg at rug.nl).

Please share this questionnaire with anyone you know above 65 so that we learn
more about the language learning needs of seniors and courses can be designed
around these needs.

Thank you,

Louisa Richter

Linguistic Field(s): Language Acquisition