31.2276, Calls: Applied Ling, Disc Analysis, Socioling, Text/Corpus Ling, Translation/USA

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Jul 15 15:38:19 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-2276. Wed Jul 15 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.2276, Calls: Applied Ling, Disc Analysis, Socioling, Text/Corpus Ling, Translation/USA

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2020 11:37:47
From: Chaowei Zhu [apftis21 at wfu.edu]
Subject: The 9th Asia-Pacific Forum on Translation and Intercultural Studies

Full Title: The 9th Asia-Pacific Forum on Translation and Intercultural Studies
Short Title: APFTIS-2021

Date: 18-Mar-2021 - 20-Mar-2021
Location: Winston-Salem/North Carolina, USA
Contact Person: Chaowei Zhu
Meeting Email: apftis21 at wfu.edu
Web Site: https://interpretingandtranslation.wfu.edu/APFTIS-2021/

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; Sociolinguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics; Translation

Call Deadline: 10-Dec-2020

Meeting Description:

The Asia-Pacific Forum on Translation and Intercultural Studies (APFTIS) aims
to gather students, educators, researchers and practitioners in the
translation and interpreting (T&I) and intercultural studies fields to present
their research and exchange perspectives on current trends across disciplines.
Since the establishment of the Forum in 2011, it has been hosted by a number
of prestigious universities around the world and has become one of the most
reputable events of its kind.
A selection of peer-reviewed papers from the 9th APFTIS will be included in a
special issue of Asia Pacific Translation and Intercultural Studies (Published
by Taylor & Francis Group)and 《亚太跨学科翻译研究》 (Asia- Pacific Interdisciplinary
Translation Studies, published by Tsinghua University Press).
The 9th APFTIS also set up special awards for young scholars and undergraduate
students to encourage and promote teaching and research in the fields of
translation, interpreting, culture, and intercultural studies.
Please visit the 9th APFTIS website for more details.

Call for Papers:

SCOPE
The 9th APFTIS is soliciting submissions that reflect diverse theoretical
perspectives and empirical research. Topics are broadly defined and include,
but are not limited to, the following areas:
 - T&I services in medical, legal, business, diplomatic, media and
non-traditional contexts, i.e. humanitarian crisis, public safety and law
enforcement
 - Collaboration between T&I academia and practitioners and industry partners
from other domains
 - Community as base for interpreting and translation; i.e. re-enforced and/or
re-defined role of T&I in diversified communities
 - Agency of translators and interpreters in global societies; i.e.
leadership, construction of a nation’s or world region’s identity and image,
impact on cultural memory
 - Big translation and cultural memory: the construction of a nation’s
identity /image
 - New approaches in T&I studies, i.e. trans-creation, adaptation with
compensation, self-censorship
 - Cultural factors and T&I strategies
 - Remote interpreting and re-speaking
 - Technology application in T&I, in particular T&I-related AI applications,
T&I on demand, post-editing, terminology management, etc.
 - Multimodality in T&I, i.e. audiovisual, videogames, movies
 - T&I education and curriculum development
 - T&I ethics, standards and quality assessment
 - Cultural and intercultural studies
 - Other related fields

PAPER AND PANEL SUBMISSIONS
PAPER SUBMISSIONS
Authors are invited to submit abstracts for individual presentations of 20
min. (15 min. + Q&A) and short bios through Linguist List platform
(http://linguistlist.org/easyabs/APFTIS21) by December 10, 2020. Abstracts
will be selected for presentation at the conference by the Academic Committee
and the selected presenters will be notified by January 5, 2021. Please note
that you will be issued an official invitation letter after you have
registered.

FOCUS PANEL SUBMISSIONS
We also invite abstract submissions for two focus panels, of 90 min. each, one
on Trans-Pacific and one on Trans-Atlantic T& I academia and industry
collaboration, widely defined. Particularly welcome are creative and
trail-blazing ideas on how to encourage, develop, maintain and support
intercultural, interregional, intersocietal and intercontinental collaboration
within the world-wide T& I communities in these new times. The goal of the
panels is to explore innovative ways for interaction between T&I communities,
for example, Americas-Asia; Asia-Australia, Americas-Europe, Europe-Asia, etc.
Please submit abstracts and short bios of the panelists through Linguist List
platform (http://linguistlist.org/easyabs/APFTIS21) by December 10, 2020.

GUIDELINES FOR PAPER AND PANEL SUBMISSIONS
Abstract, 300-350 words in English, including positions, affiliations, email
addresses and mailing addresses for all authors. Times New Roman 12pt font
size, single-spaced.

POST-FORUM PUBLICATION
Within three months of the forum a selection of peer-reviewed papers from the
Forum will be included in a special issue of Asia Pacific Translation and
Intercultural Studies by Routledge/ Taylor & Francis Group, and 《亚太跨学科翻译研究》
(Asia-Pacific Interdisciplinary Translation Studies), a bilingual journal
published by Tsinghua University Press. The papers submitted for publication
are to be in English.