31.2368, Calls: Applied Ling, Pragmatics/Switzerland

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Jul 24 15:31:22 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-2368. Fri Jul 24 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.2368, Calls: Applied Ling, Pragmatics/Switzerland

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 11:30:50
From: Martin Luginbühl [martin.luginbuehl at unibas.ch]
Subject: Media as procedures

Full Title: Media as procedures

Date: 27-Jun-2021 - 02-Jul-2021
Location: Winterthur, Switzerland
Contact Person: Martin Luginbühl Jan Georg Schneider
Meeting Email: martin.luginbuehl at unibas.ch
Web Site: https://pragmatics.international/general/custom.asp?page=CfP

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Pragmatics

Call Deadline: 25-Oct-2020

Meeting Description:

While we probably all agree that media and communication are interdependent,
i.e. that media shape communication and communication shapes media, there
still is a debate going how media have to be understood best in order to
capture their role in communication. In some media theories, the term medium
is still used to refer to only the matter used to “transport” meanings,
information or signals from a sender to a receiver. Especially in German media
discourse, but also internationally, this technical conception of media is
still dominant in linguistics (cf. Marx/Weidacher 2014: 54; Schmitz 2015: 8)
and some media studies works (e.g. Hartley’s widely read introduction to
Communication, Cultural and Media Studies (2020: 200): “Media of communication
are therefore any means by which messages may be transmitted”).

In this panel, we aim to challenge this narrow understanding of media
especially within media linguistics. We propose to understand media not (only)
as technical infrastructures, but above all as socially constituted semiotic
procedures (Schneider 2008). In this understanding, mediality means a specific
way of not only processing, but also constituting signs. Therefore, all
communication (even oral face-to-face communication) has its specific
mediality and is medial communication. The technical aspect of media then not
only refers to hardware, but also – in the Greek sense of techné – practical
skills or procedures.

Call for Papers:

This panel proposes a multi-faceted look at the way how media in the sense
mentioned above shape communication and how media affordances (Gibson 1977,
Costa 2018, Zipoli 2014) emerge. Instead of asking what a medium is or is not,
we focus on questions like:

- What are the specific medialities (or medial properties) of medial
procedures (or communication forms) like face-to-face communication, mobile
communication via smartphone, mass media conversations, Youtube blogs,
meetings with video communication tools etc.
- What do we learn about social life in ‘digitalised societies’ when we
compare these different medialities with each other?
- What effects do different medial procedures have on the concrete
interaction?
- In which ways influence emerging communication practices in turn medial
procedures?
- How are established medial procedures transferred and transformed to new
medial environments?

Please see https://pragmatics.international/page/CfP for submission
instructions.