31.1872, Confs: Gen Ling/Netherlands

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Jun 5 15:50:48 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-1872. Fri Jun 05 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.1872, Confs: Gen Ling/Netherlands

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2020 11:50:21
From: Jenneke van der Wal [g.j.van.der.wal at hum.leidenuniv.nl]
Subject: World Congress of African Linguistics

World Congress of African Linguistics
Short Title: WOCAL

Date: 08-Jun-2021 - 11-Jun-2021
Location: Leiden, Netherlands
Contact: Maarten Mous
Contact Email: call at hum.leidenuniv.nl
Meeting URL: http://2021.wocal.net/

Language plays a vital role in our societies that are more and more shaped by
communication and information, and Africa is no exception. As languages
provide the framework for interpreting the world, African languages can
contribute tremendously to our understanding of how people communicate and how
language structures this interaction. Only by using African languages in all
spheres of social life in African societies does communication become
inclusive and information truly accessible to all and lead to reducing
inequality and establishing  sustainable societies. African linguistics has a
key role to play in helping to bring this about.

Program Information:

We invite contributions on all African languages including sign languages;
synchronic and diachronic studies, literatures in African languages; all
subdisciplines of linguistics: phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax,
semantics, pragmatics, sociolinguistics, discourse analysis,
psycholinguistics, language planning and policy, language documentation; and
applied and educational linguistics.

Program Organisation:
We envisage 5 plenary speakers, followed by pitches for posters, and 8-10
parallel sessions. Presentations will be 20 minutes long followed by 5 minutes
discussion and 5 minutes for changing rooms. Poster sessions will take place
during lunch and coffee/tea breaks. We select abstracts to accommodate
maximally 400 papers.

The papers will be organised as much as possible in logical sessions so as to
make all fields of African linguistics visible.

We are open to suggestions for proposals for workshops during, before or after
WOCAL. Please contact the organisers before July 30th, 2020. Currently
workshops on Tone, Sign languages, Bantu universals and variation, Pragmatics,
and Technologies for enhanced documentation of African languages have been
suggested. We hope that workshops will attract separate funding to allow
participants form Africa to attend WOCAL.

We are looking into options for on-line streaming and on-line presentations
for those who cannot be physically present.

Conference time/dates:
Conference:  June 8, 9, 10, 11 2021
Arrival and registration day: June 7
After WOCAL social events: June 12

Submission deadlines:
Workshop proposal: Due July 30, 2020
Abstract: Due November 30, 2020
Notification of acceptance: January 31, 2021

Registration:
Conference fees (early bird before March 1, 2021):
General: 160 EUR (early bird 140)
(PhD-)Students: 80 EUR (early bird 70)
Participants from economically challenged countries: 80 EUR (early bird 70)

Details for payment will be announced soon on the conference website
http://2021.wocal.net/
Local organising and scientific committee to be contacted at
call at hum.leidenuniv.nl