31.1893, FYI: Call for Book Chapter Abstracts

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Jun 9 04:07:21 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-1893. Tue Jun 09 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.1893, FYI: Call for Book Chapter Abstracts

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2020 00:06:39
From: Pejman Habibie [phabibie at uwo.ca]
Subject: Call for Book Chapter Abstracts

Writing for scholarly publication: A Gender Perspective
Editors: Pejman Habibie, Anna Kristina Hultgren, Goli Rezai-Rashti

By bringing together experts in a variety of disciplines, we intend to address
the significant topic of gender in writing for scholarly publication. Drawing
on different research methodologies and gender theories, we will bring to the
fore the under-represented and under-researched issue of gender in the
scholarly publication. In other words, this volume will critically (re)examine
current understandings of gender and shed light on how gender permeates
culture, structures and institutions and how it is practiced, performed, and
(re)enacted in writing for scholarly publication. The topic is particularly
salient in this time of COVID 19 with its demonstrated differential impact on
gender. The volume will explore the ways in which the production, evaluation,
and communication of scholarship as well as the pedagogy of writing for
scholarly publication are mediated by gender. We are interested in both
theoretical, conceptual and empirical contributions that critically examine
gender, sexism, gender biases, and gender inequality within both textual and
broader socio-economic, socio-cultural, and socio-political contexts in which
writing for scholarly publication practices are situated and performed.

By the same token, contributors will be encouraged to draw on a range of
research methodologies and relevant gender-related/gender-informed theoretical
frameworks, concepts and notions to frame their chapters. By bringing a range
of perspectives from academic writers and researchers, the volume aims to
address recent calls for investigating the role of gender in knowledge
construction, adjudication, and dissemination. This volume will offer new and
useful insights for scholars and stake-holders and enrich the field’s
understanding of the issues regarding gender in scholarly publication.

We are keen to include as many aspects of the topic as possible and therefore
need to restrict each chapter to about 6000 words, inclusive of references,
tables, figures, and any data extracts. The deadlines are these: In the first
instance, we would want an abstract of around 150–200 words along with
authors’ affiliation and a 50-word bio by the end of July, 2020. Based on
review of the abstract, authors will be invited to submit fairly polished
full-length papers for inclusion by the end of October, 2021.