31.1915, Books: The Emoji Revolution: Seargeant

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Jun 10 15:26:54 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-1915. Wed Jun 10 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.1915, Books: The Emoji Revolution: Seargeant

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Jeremy Coburn <jecoburn at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 11:26:41
From: Dan Iredale [diredale at cambridge.org]
Subject: The Emoji Revolution: Seargeant

Title: The Emoji Revolution
Subtitle: How Technology is Shaping the Future of Communication
Publication Year: 2019
Publisher: Cambridge University Press
	   http://cambridge.org

Book URL: https://www.cambridge.org/us/academic/subjects/languages-linguistics/sociolinguistics/emoji-revolution-how-technology-shaping-future-communication?format=PB

Author: Philip Seargeant

Electronic: ISBN:  9781108572439 Pages: 238 Price: U.S. $ 14.00
Hardback: ISBN:  9781108496643 Pages: 238 Price: U.S. $ 79.99
Paperback: ISBN:  9781108721790 Pages: 238 Price: U.S. $ 17.99
Paperback: ISBN:  9781108721790 Pages: 238 Price: U.K. £ 12.99

Abstract:

Where have emoji come from? Why are they so popular? What do they tell us
about the technology-enhanced state of modern society? Far from simply being
an amusing set of colourful little symbols, emoji are in the front line of a
revolution in the way we communicate. As a form of global, image-based
communication, they're a perfect example of the ingenuity and creativity at
the heart of human interaction. But they're also a parable for the way that
consumerism now permeates all parts of our daily existence, taking a
controlling interest even in the language we use; and of how technology is
becoming ever more entangled in our everyday lives. So how will this
split-identity affect the way that online communication develops? Are emoji
ushering in a bold new era of empathy and emotional engagement on the
internet? Or are they a first sign that we're handing over the future of human
interaction to the machines?

1. The what, the why and the where of emoji
2. Emoji and the history of human communication
3. Making faces
4. Metaphors and moral panics
5. The shaping force of digital technology
6. People, politics and interpersonal relationships
7. Diverse identities
8. Creativity and culture
9. The emojification of everyday life.

Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=144074