31.1949, Books: Applying Linguistics in Illness and Healthcare Contexts: Demjén (ed.)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Jun 12 18:25:25 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-1949. Fri Jun 12 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.1949, Books: Applying Linguistics in Illness and Healthcare Contexts: Demjén (ed.)

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Jeremy Coburn <jecoburn at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2020 14:25:18
From: Lianna Iwanikiw [lianna.iwanikiw at bloomsbury.com]

Title: Applying Linguistics in Illness and Healthcare Contexts
Series Title: Contemporary Studies in Linguistics

Publication Year: 2020
Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing (formerly The Continuum International Publishing Group)
	   http://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/

Book URL: https://www.bloomsbury.com/applying-linguistics-in-illness-and-healthcare-contexts-9781350057654/

Editor: Zsófia Demjén

Electronic: ISBN:  9781350057678 Pages: 400 Price: U.K. £ 126 Comment: ePUB
Electronic: ISBN:  9781350057661 Pages: 400 Price: U.K. £ 126 Comment: PDF
Hardback: ISBN:  9781350057654 Pages: 400 Price: U.K. £ 140

Abstract:

All aspects of illness and healthcare are mediated by language: experiences of
illness, death and healthcare provision are talked and written about
(face-to-face or online), while medical consultations, research interviews,
public health communications and even some diagnostic instruments are all
inherently linguistic in nature. How we talk to, about and for each other in
such a sensitive context has consequences for our relationships, our sense of
self, how we understand and reason about our health, as well as for the
quality care we receive. Yet, linguistic analysis has been conspicuously
absent from the mainstream of medical education, health communication training
and even the medical or health humanities.

The chapters in this volume bring together applied linguistic work using
discourse analysis, corpus methods, conversation analysis, metaphor analysis,
cognitive linguistics, multiculturalism research, interactional
sociolinguistics, narrative analysis, and (im)politeness to make sense of a
variety of international healthcare contexts and situations. These include:

-clinician-patient interactions
-receptionist-patient interaction
-online support forums
-online counselling
-public health communication
-media representations
-medical accounts
-diagnostic tools and definitions
-research interviews with doctors and patients

The volume demonstrates how linguistic analysis can not only improve
understandings of the lived-experience of different illnesses, but also has
implications for communications training, disease prevention, treatment and
self-management, the effectiveness of public health messaging, access to
appropriate care, professional mobility and professional terminology, among
others.

                     Clinical Linguistics
                     Discourse Analysis

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=144673