31.2113, Books: From Sounds to Structures: Petrosino, Cerrone, van der Hulst (eds.)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Jun 29 21:14:46 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-2113. Mon Jun 29 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.2113, Books: From Sounds to Structures: Petrosino, Cerrone, van der Hulst (eds.)

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Jeremy Coburn <jecoburn at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2020 17:14:26
From: Asja Kusnezowa [Asja.Kusnezowa at degruyter.com]

Title: From Sounds to Structures
Subtitle: Beyond the Veil of Maya
Series Title: Studies in Generative Grammar [SGG]

Publication Year: 2020
Publisher: De Gruyter Mouton
	   http://www.degruyter.com/mouton

Book URL: https://bit.ly/3dttvUD

Editor: Roberto Petrosino
Editor: Pietro Cerrone
Editor: Harry van der Hulst

Paperback: ISBN:  9781501521317 Pages: 536 Price: U.S. $ 34.99

Abstract:

Editor's Note: This is a new edition of a previously announced title.

Now in paperback

The term ‘Maya’, in Indian traditions, refers to our sensory perception of the
world and, as such, to a superficial reality (or ‘un–reality’) that we must
look beyond to find the inner reality of things. Applied to the study of
language, we perceive sounds, a superficial reality, and then we seek
structures, the underlying reality in what we call phonology, morphology, and
syntax. This volume starts with an introduction by the editors, which shows
how the various papers contained in the volume reflect the spectrum of
research interests of Andrea Calabrese, as well as his influence on the work
of colleagues and his students. Contributors, united in their search for the
abstract structures that underlie the appearances of languages include
linguists such as Adriana Belletti, Paola Benincà, Jonathan Bobaljik, Gugliemo
Cinque, David Embick, Mirko Grimaldi, Harry van der Hulst, Michael Kenstowicz,
Maria Rita Manzini, Andrew Nevins, Elizabeth Pyatt, Luigi Rizzi, Leonardo
Savoia, Laura Vanelli, Bert Vaux, Susi Wurmbrand, as well as a few junior
researchers including Mariachiara Berizzi, Giuliano Bocci, Stefano Canalis,
Silvio Cruschina, Irina Monich, Beata Moskal, Diego Pescarini, Joseph Perry,
Roberto Petrosino, and Kobey Schwayder.

Linguistic Field(s): Phonology
                     Syntax

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=145233