31.891, Calls: Slavic Subgroup; Syntax/Germany

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Mar 4 15:51:44 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-891. Wed Mar 04 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.891, Calls: Slavic Subgroup; Syntax/Germany

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2020 10:51:20
From: Olav Mueller-Reichau [reichau at uni-leipzig.de]
Subject: Workshop on Seconday Imperfectives in Slavic

Full Title: Workshop on Seconday Imperfectives in Slavic

Date: 02-Dec-2020 - 04-Dec-2020
Location: Leipzig, Germany
Contact Person: Olav Mueller-Reichau
Meeting Email: fdsl14 at uni-leipzig.de
Web Site: https://conference.uni-leipzig.de/fdsl14/

Linguistic Field(s): Syntax

Language Family(ies): Slavic Subgroup

Call Deadline: 15-May-2020

Meeting Description:

Workshop on Secondary imperfectives in Slavic, as part of FDSL-14

Workshop description:
The term ''secondary imperfectivization'' describes the process of deriving an
imperfective stem/verb from a perfective one by means of suffixal markers such
as Russian -yva, -iva, -va. (''YVA'' for short). Paradigmatic examples are:

pisat' ('to write.IPFV') -> podpisat' ('to sign.PFV') -> podpisyvat' ('to
sign.IPFV') (Russian)
pisati ('to write.IPFV') -> prepisati ('to copy.PFV') -> prepisivati ('to
copy.IPFV') (Croatian)
pisać ('to write.IPFV') -> zapisać ('to record.PFV') -> zapisywać ('to
record.IPFV') (Polish)
piša ('I write.IPFV') -> napiša ('I write up.PFV') -> napisvam ('I write
up.IPFV') (Bulgarian)

Due to its central place in Slavic verb formation, this operation, which
structurally dates back to Proto-Indo-European times (Wiemer & Seržant 2017),
has attracted a lot of attention. Nevertheless, there are still many open
issues related to this phenomenon, including the form and function of its
products. The aim of this workshop is to broaden the empirical database and to
deepen our understanding of secondary imperfectives. We welcome investigations
into any Slavic language.

Organizing team: Berit Gehrke (HU Berlin), Olav Mueller-Reichau (Leipzig
University), Jurica Polančec (Zagreb University), Sergei Tatevosov (MSU
Moscow)

Second Call for Papers:

Since little is known about inner-Slavic variation among secondary
imperfectives, we would like to especially encourage contributions on Slavic
languages other than most studied Russian. Issues include:
 - Do secondary imperfectives fulfill the same functions across Slavic
languages?
 - Can secondary imperfectives be used in the same set of contexts as simple
imperfectives, or only in a subset thereof?
 - Is YVA an aspectual head (e.g. Ramchand 2008)? Or does it apply below
aspect (Tatevosov 2017, Ramchand & Minor 2019)?
 - What is the morphological status of YVA? Can the heterogeneity of forms be
traced back to one underlying morpheme (Matushansky 2007), or is it a
manifestation of a function that transposes verb stems to a specific
conjugation class (Isačenko 1960; Gladney 2013)?
 - Intuitively, the attachment of YVA can be described as the undoing of
perfectivization induced by prefixation. How can we model this interpretative
effect in a compositional semantic framework?
 - How do secondary imperfectives relate to simple iteratives like Russian
pisyvat' ('to write from time to time'), where suffixation does not lead from
a perfective to an imperfective form?
 - How can we account for observed differences, such as the existence of
generic -va besides imperfective -va (Filip & Carlson 1997) in Czech, but not
in Russian?
 - Why is secondary imperfectivization more productive in Bulgarian than in
other Slavic languages (e.g. Rivero & Slavkov 2014)?
 - Is attachment of YVA (always) lexically empty, as suggested by analyses
that consider forms such as podpisat' and podpisyvat' as genuine aspectual
pairs (Isačenko 1960)?
 - How can we make sense of so-called orphan secondary imperfectives, i.e.
secondary imperfectives that lack a prefixed counterpart (Polančec 2018)?
 - Is there just one instance of YVA, or do we need to distinguish (at least)
between early -a and late -yva , as suggested by Tatevosov (2013:65ff.) for
Russian?
 - Why does Russian exclude past passive participles with YVA, while allowing
for PPPs based on simple imperfective stems (Knjazev 2007; Borik & Gehrke
2018)?

Abstracts must not exceed 2 pages (including examples, graphs, references).
They should have 2.5 cm or 1 inch margins, should be single-spaced, in a font
size not smaller than 12 pt. Examples, graphs etc. should be intertwined in
the text (rather than placed at the end). Abstracts must be anonymous (nothing
in the abstract or the document should identify the authors), and must be
submitted in PDF format via Easychair
(https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=fdsl14)

Deadline for the receipt of abstracts: May 15, 2020
Notification of acceptance: August 15, 2020