31.1014, Calls: General Linguistics/Poland

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Mar 16 16:42:05 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-1014. Mon Mar 16 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.1014, Calls: General Linguistics/Poland

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2020 12:40:54
From: Jaroslaw Weckwerth [wjarek at wa.amu.edu.pl]
Subject: 50th Poznań Linguistic Meeting

Full Title: 50th Poznań Linguistic Meeting
Short Title: PLM2020

Date: 17-Sep-2020 - 20-Sep-2020
Location: Poznan, Poland
Contact Person: Alona Kononenko-Szoszkiewicz
Meeting Email: plm at wa.amu.edu.pl
Web Site: http://wa.amu.edu.pl/plm/2020/

Call Deadline: 22-Mar-2020

Meeting Description:

It is with great pride that we announce that we will be celebrating the 50th
edition of the Poznań Linguistic Meeting on 17–20 September 2020. The meeting
will be organised by the Faculty of English, Adam Mickiewicz University,
Poznań. This jubilee edition will focus on the impact of linguistic research
on our cognition and knowledge. We hope that its leitmotif, “Linguistics
matters: On the importance of the study of language in the modern world”, will
encourage participants to submit contributions from any area of linguistics,
providing evidence for the discipline's relevance for communication and
cognition on both a societal and individual level. There will also be several
events reflecting the special character of this 50th edition of one of
Europe's leading linguistics conferences.

Plenary events:

The keynote address will be given by Ian Maddieson (University of New Mexico)

Plenary speakers:
– Martine Robbeets (Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History)
– Joanna Pawelczyk (Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznań)
– Charles B. Chang (Boston University)

There will also be a Grand Debate, a session titled “30 Years of Contrastive
Linguistics Conferences: A session in memory of Jacek Fisiak (1936–2019)”, and
a Great Returns session, all with distinguished speakers. As we cannot include
more details here due to space limits, please visit out webpage to learn more.

Thematic sessions:
Three thematic sessions and a workshop are planned:
– Inclusive linguistic research matters: Underrepresented populations,
unexplored contexts, and emerging types of data (convened by Bartosz Brzoza
and Anita Wagner)
– Word order matters (convened by Jacek Witkoś and Przemysław Tajsner)
– Discourse and terminology matter: Investigating specialized communication
and translation (convened by Magdalena Perdek and Magdalena Zabielska)
– Surfing the Brainwaves workshop (run by Rafał Jończyk)

PhD Project Poster Session:
A special poster session will be organised for PhD candidates starting their
careers in linguistics or related disciplines. The goal of the session is to
provide a platform for all early-career researchers willing to present their
PhD projects to a larger scientific community, with a view to receiving
valuable feedback on their work at an early stage of development.

Second Call for Papers:

Submissions:
Proposals of papers are invited for both oral and poster presentations related
to the leitmotif and to other topics within modern linguistics. Poster
sessions will form an integral part of the conference programme. The number of
submissions is limited to one single-authored plus one co-authored abstract
per author (or two co-authored ones). Please visit our webpage at
http://wa.amu.edu.pl/plm for the details of the submission procedure.

Important dates:
– Submission deadline for general session abstracts (oral and poster
sessions): 22 March 2020
– (Individual thematic and special sessions may have their own deadlines)
– Notification of acceptance: mid-April 2020

Contact details:
PLM2020 Organising Committee
Faculty of English, Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznań
E-mail: plm at wa.amu.edu.pl
Website: http://wa.amu.edu.pl/plm
Tel: (+48 61) 829 3506