31.1104, Books: Noun Phrase Complexity in English: Berlage

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sat Mar 21 02:55:00 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-1104. Fri Mar 20 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.1104, Books: Noun Phrase Complexity in English: Berlage

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Jeremy Coburn <jecoburn at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2020 22:54:10
From: Katie Laker [klaker at cambridge.org]
Subject: Noun Phrase Complexity in English: Berlage

Title: Noun Phrase Complexity in English
Publication Year: 2019
Publisher: Cambridge University Press
	   http://cambridge.org

Book URL: https://www.cambridge.org/us/academic/subjects/languages-linguistics/grammar-and-syntax/noun-phrase-complexity-english?format=PB

Author: Eva Berlage

Paperback: ISBN:  9781108790420 Pages:  Price: U.S. $ 31.99
Paperback: ISBN:  9781108790420 Pages:  Price: U.K. £ 23.99
Paperback: ISBN:  9781108790420 Pages:  Price: Europe EURO 28.00

Abstract:

This book explores noun phrase (NP) complexity in English, showing that it is
best accounted for both by a linear and a hierarchical parameter: its length
and its type of postmodifier(s). The study is methodologically unique in that
it combines univariate and multivariate analyses in an investigation of four
different syntactic variables. Drawing on more than three billion words of
British and American data, Eva Berlage shows that the length and the structure
of the NPs, along with language-external factors such as the regional variety
of English, work as powerful determinants of the variation. On a theoretical
level, the book reveals that the structural complexity of NPs cannot be
sufficiently captured by (phrasal) node counts but that we need to incorporate
the degree to which NPs are sentential. The book is designed for researchers
and students interested in syntax, language variation, sociolinguistics,
structural complexity and the history of English.

1. Introduction; 2. The variationist framework; 3. Methodology I: defining the
syntactic complexity of NPs; 4. Methodology II: modes of data presentation,
statistical procedures and electronic corpora; 5. Optional verb phrases in
topic-restricting as far as constructions; 6. Word order variation involving
the collocations take prisoner, hold prisoner and take hostage, hold hostage;
7. Word-order variation involving pre- and postposed notwithstanding; 8.
Infinitival variation following help; 9. NP-complexity and change; 10.
Conclusion and future directions.

Linguistic Field(s): Syntax

Subject Language(s): English (eng)

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=142413