31.1164, Jobs: French; Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Ling & Literature: Educational Content Developer, Duolingo

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Mar 26 23:36:37 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-1164. Thu Mar 26 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.1164, Jobs: French; Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Ling & Literature: Educational Content Developer, Duolingo

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 19:35:04
From: Bozena Pajak [bozena at duolingo.com]
Subject: French; Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Ling & Literature: Educational Content Developer, Duolingo, Pittsburgh, USA

University or Organization: Duolingo
Department: Learning and Curriculum
Job Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Web Address: http://www.duolingo.com
Job Title: Educational Content Developer for French
Job Rank: Rank Open

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Ling & Literature; Language Teaching, Creative Writing

Required Language(s): French (fra)

Help improve how millions of people learn French on Duolingo.

We are looking for an outstanding French language educator with strong
organizational skills and experience creating educational content for digital
products. If you are creative, love developing content in a variety of
formats, and can follow efficient processes for large-scale content creation,
this job is for you! You will join our team of course designers and help us
scale our efforts to deliver the best language education in the world. Join
Duolingo to feel empowered as an educator, affecting how millions of people
learn.

This is an open rank position. We will consider candidates from recent MA or
PhD graduates to more senior candidates with years of work experience. The job
rank will be adjusted accordingly. This role is based in Pittsburgh, PA.

Responsibilities:

- Work side by side with talented content developers, curriculum designers,
project managers, and engineers to deliver high-quality content for teaching
French
- Own the process of writing, editing, proofreading, and reviewing French
learning materials across a variety of products and features, from creative
passages or dialogues to structured grammatical tips
- Develop educational content that’s fun, quirky, and accessible to learners
at a given target proficiency level
- Help create and implement efficient processes for scaling the creation of
educational content
- Provide French-related pedagogical support to multiple teams
- Train and supervise other course content creators

Requirements:

- MA (or equivalent experience) in French, linguistics, creative writing, or a
related field
- Native or near-native proficiency in continental French
- Excellent creative writing skills
- Ability to write educational content that’s appropriate in difficulty for
language learners at different proficiency levels
- Ability to communicate difficult language concepts (such as grammar) in a
way that’s fun and accessible to learners
- Good explicit knowledge of the grammar, dialects, and other properties of
French
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
- Ability to relocate to Pittsburgh, PA

Exceptional candidates will have:

- PhD in French, linguistics, creative writing, or a related field
- Experience creating educational content for digital products
- Experience managing people and projects

Web Address for Applications: https://boards.greenhouse.io/duolingo/jobs/4511069002
Contact Information:
	Bozena Pajak
	Email: bozena at duolingo.com