31.1192, FYI: The 32nd ESSLLI Summerschool postponed

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Mar 30 23:32:44 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-1192. Mon Mar 30 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.1192, FYI:  The 32nd ESSLLI Summerschool postponed

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 19:32:35
From: Jan Odijk [j.odijk at uu.nl]
Subject: The 32nd ESSLLI Summerschool postponed

The 32nd ESSLLI postponed

Unfortunately, I have to announce that we have postponed the 32nd edition of
ESSLLI, planned for 2020 in Utrecht. It was very difficult for the ESSLLI
Standing Committee, the Programme Committee, and the Organising Committee to
take this decision, but the circumstances around the coronavirus (COVID-19)
pandemic force us to.

Our considerations leading to this decision are:

-  The health and well-being of the ESSLLI participants is our top priority.

-  We want to maximize the opportunities for students, lecturers, and others
to participate in ESSLLI.

-  It is at this point impossible to predict how the situation with regard to
the coronavirus (COVID-19) will develop.

-  In the Netherlands, the Dutch government made the measures with regard to
the corona virus disease stricter on March 23, and extended the duration of
some measures to the beginning of June.

-  Almost all countries are struggling with the corona virus disease, though
each is in a different phase, and the restrictions are in many countries even
tougher than in the Netherlands.

-  We want to take away the uncertainty among the students, lecturers,
workshop organisers and workshop participants and create clarity as soon as
possible.

-  Many other events and normal university activities (teaching, exams) are
being postponed because of the pandemic and might very well conflict with
ESSLLI.

We do not consider the full virtual variant of ESSLLI as a viable possibility
because face-to-face presence is essential for teaching, networking,
exchanging of ideas, and informal gathering in the social events at ESSLLI.

Together with the organisers of the 33rd ESSLLI (planned for 2021 in Galway,
Ireland), we are investigating whether we can postpone the 32nd ESSLLI to
2021. As soon as we have confirmation that this is possible, we will invite
all lecturers and workshop organisers to hold their (possibly updated)
lectures and workshops in 2021 instead of 2020.

I am sorry to send you such a message. We are living in a difficult period
which affects almost all aspects of everyday life, full of uncertainties for
its evolution.

Registration for ESSLLI2002 is now closed. All who already registered will be
contacted personally to arrange reimbursement of fees paid.

Stay healthy and strong! I look forward to welcoming you at the 32nd ESSLLI in
Utrecht at a later point in time.

Jan Odijk, Chair ESSLLI2020 Organising Committee

On behalf of the ESSLLI2020 Standing Committee, Programme Committee and
Organising Committee.

https://esslli.eu/

Linguistic Field(s): Not Applicable