31.1210, Calls: Cog Sci, Philosophy of Lang, Pragmatics, Semantics/Austria

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 31 20:45:06 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-1210. Tue Mar 31 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.1210, Calls: Cog Sci, Philosophy of Lang, Pragmatics, Semantics/Austria

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 16:44:00
From: Anton Benz [benz at leibniz-zas.de]
Subject: QUDs and Exhaustivity: Experiments, Computation, and Theory

Full Title: QUDs and Exhaustivity: Experiments, Computation, and Theory
Short Title: GrazQUD20

Date: 25-Sep-2020 - 26-Sep-2020
Location: Graz, Austria
Contact Person: Edgar Onea
Meeting Email: edgar.onea-gaspar at uni-graz.at
Web Site: https://www.xprag.de/?page_id=8424

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science; Philosophy of Language; Pragmatics; Semantics

Call Deadline: 15-Jul-2020

Meeting Description:

In grammatical theories, exhaustivity inferences are usually linked to two
major components: some sort of exhaustivity operator and a set of
alternatives. The set of alternatives can be lexically constrained, as in the
case of scalar implicatures, but is usually a set of focus-alternatives and
thus naturally connected to the Question under Discussion. By definition, at
least at the global level, the congruent question is a sub-set of the focus
alternatives of a sentence. Hence, exhaustivity can be conceptualized for such
cases as completeness of answers to questions. In other cases, however, in
embedded environments, it is not obvious whether and how a relevant question
under discussion can be found. Thus, the relation between focus alternatives
relevant to exhaustification and the question under discussion is not
transparent.

In the workshop we wish to bring together pragmatic and grammatical approaches
to exhaustivity inferences associated with different constructions: scalar
implicatures, clefts, focus constructions, embedded questions,
presuppositions, discourse relations etc. Thereby, we assume that the
relevance of a set of alternatives and the QUD may be a link between different
types of approaches that needs further exploration.

Planned invited speakers:
David Beaver (U Texas at Austin)
Nicole Gotzner (ZAS, Berlin)
Benjamin Spector (Institut Jean Nicod, Paris)

For more information, please consult the workshop web page at
https://www.xprag.de/?page_id=8424

Call for Papers:

**Please note that we are closely monitoring the impact of and response to
COVID-19 and will put in place an appropriate contingency plan as the
situation evolves. In the not unlikely event that travelling is not
recommended, the workshop will happen online.**

We welcome theoretical, computational, and experimental talks that further our
understanding of the role of alternatives in pragmatics and semantics.
Specific topics might relate to, but are not limited to:
 - What is the role of QUD in Bayesian models of communication?
 - What is the role of the QUD in the case of embedded implicatures?
 - How exhaustive are questions and embedded questions in particular? Can
there be rational global pragmatic analyses of this phenomenon?
 - What are the best state of the art models for pragmatic and grammatical
exhaustification?
 - If the QUD is connected to at-issueness and projection, is exhaustivity
also connected to these phenomena and if so in what way?
 - How can we predict the choice of quantifiers and optimal descriptions of
complex situations and how does this depend on the QUD?
 - QUDs as discourse structuring devices create constraints on expected
content. Which exhaustivity implicature can thereby be triggered at the
discourse level?

We invite submissions of extended abstracts (2 pages), outlining original
research and innovative approaches. Abstracts can be uploaded until July 15,
2020 at: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=grazqud20

Important dates:
July 15: Deadline for submissions
August 5:  Notification of acceptance
September 1: Camera-ready versions of abstracts
September 25-26: Workshop

Funded by XPrag.de priority programme: New Pragmatic Theories based on
Experimental Evidence (SPP 1727).