31.1607, Calls: Applied Ling, Comp Ling, Socioling, Text/Corpus Ling/Online

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu May 14 00:55:11 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-1607. Wed May 13 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.1607, Calls: Applied Ling, Comp Ling, Socioling, Text/Corpus Ling/Online

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Wed, 13 May 2020 20:54:35
From: Bertie Vidgen [bertievidgen at gmail.com]
Subject: The Workshop on Online Abuse and Harms

Full Title: The Workshop on Online Abuse and Harms
Short Title: WOAH

Date: 20-Nov-2020 - 20-Nov-2020
Location: Now entirely virtual, Dominican Republic
Contact Person: Bertie Vidgen
Meeting Email: bvidgen at turing.ac.uk
Web Site: https://www.workshopononlineabuse.com/shared-exploration

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Computational Linguistics; Sociolinguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics

Call Deadline: 29-Sep-2020

Meeting Description:

Digital technologies have brought myriad benefits for society, transforming
how people connect, communicate and interact with each other. However, they
have also enabled harmful and abusive behaviours, from interpersonal
aggression to bullying and hate speech, to reach large audiences and for their
negative effects to be amplified. The negative effects are further compounded
as marginalised and vulnerable communities are disproportionately at the risk
of receiving abuse. As policymakers, civil society and tech companies devote
more resources and time to tackle online abuse, there is a pressing need for
scientific research that rigorously investigates how we define harms, how it
is detected, moderated and countered.

Call for Papers:

For the fourth edition of the Workshop on Online Abuse and Harms (4th WOAH!)
our theme is: Social Bias and Unfairness in Online Abuse Detection. This
iteration of the workshop will bring together NLP researchers, members of
groups that are likely to be discriminated against, ethics researchers,
sociologists, technologists working on fairness and accountability, and legal
experts to discuss the nuances of justice, fairness, accountability, and
ethics of autonomous systems. The workshop will have four components:
1. Regular paper submissions, both short (4 pages) and long (8 pages).
2. Submissions from civil society (5 to 20 pages).
3. Shared Exploration; to get researchers to creatively engage in the problem
area.
4. a multidisciplinary panel discussion.

We continue to emphasize the need for inter-, cross- and anti- disciplinary
work on online abuse and harms, and invite paper submissions from a range of
fields. These include but are not limited to: NLP, machine learning,
computational social sciences, law, politics, psychology, network analysis,
sociology and cultural studies. Additionally, in this iteration we invite
civil society, in particular individuals and organisations working with women
and marginalised communities who are often disproportionately affected by
online abuse, to submit reports, case studies, findings, data, and to record
their lived experiences. We hope that through these engagements we can develop
computational tools which address the issues faced by those on the front-lines
of tackling online abuse.

For research papers, we invite long (8 pages) and short (4 pages)
academic/research papers on any of the following general topics.
Related to developing computational models and systems:
> NLP models and methods for detecting abusive language online, including, but
not limited to hate speech, gender-based violence, cyberbullying etc.
> Application of NLP tools to analyze social media content and other large
data sets
> NLP models for cross-lingual abusive language detection
> Computational models for multi-modal abuse detection
> Development of corpora and annotation guidelines
> Critical algorithm studies with a focus on content moderation technology
> Human-Computer Interaction for abusive language detection systems
> Best practices for using NLP techniques in watchdog settings
> Submissions addressing interpretability and social biases in content
moderation technologies

Related to legal, social, and policy considerations of abusive language
online:
> The social and personal consequences of being the target of abusive language
and targeting others with abusive language
> Assessment of current (computational and non-computational) methods of
addressing abusive language
> Legal ramifications of measures taken against abusive language use
> Social implications of monitoring and moderating unacceptable content
> Considerations of implemented and proposed policies for dealing with abusive
language online and the technological means of dealing with it.

Submission Information:
We will be using the EMNLP 2020 Submission Guidelines. Authors are invited to
submit a full paper of up to 8 pages of content with up to 2 additional pages
for references. We also invite short papers of up to 4 pages of content,
including 2 additional pages for references. We also invite abstract
submissions of up to 2 pages, including 1 additional page for references.
Accepted papers will be given an additional page of content to address
reviewer comments.

Important information:
Data availability: All data has been released.
Shared Exploration papers due: September 7, 2020 (23h59, GMT-12,''anywhere on
Earth'')
Camera ready papers due: October 14, 2020
Submission portal: http://softconf.com/emnlp2020/WOAH4/
Mailing list: Interested parties are encouraged to subscribe to the shared
task mailing list at
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/woah-shared-exploration-2020.
Organizer E-mail: sharedexploration at workshopononlineabuse.com