31.1674, Software: Teaching Logic: A Free App

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue May 19 04:27:19 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-1674. Tue May 19 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.1674, Software: Teaching Logic: A Free App

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 00:24:53
From: Ioannis Votsis [ioannis.votsis at nchlondon.ac.uk]
Subject: Teaching Logic: A Free App

Dear Colleagues,

As we all know, when it comes to teaching technical subjects, practice makes
perfect. With this aim in mind, I've developed an app that helps students
learning logic to practice their skills. The app is effectively a
propositional logic calculator. It's completely free and does not collect any
information from its users. It can be installed on the iOS (iPhones and
iPads), Android (phones, tablets, etc.) and Windows (desktops, laptops,
tablets, xbox ones) platforms. Here are the links to the respective platform
versions:

iOS:
https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/the-logic-calculator/id1484264087

Android:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ioannisvotsis.thelogiccalcul
ator

Windows:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/the-logic-calculator/9nj6bpckm4mr?activetab=
pivot:overviewtab

You can also find instructions on how to use the app here:

https://votsis.org/logic.html

Although the current version is restricted to propositional logic and, more
particularly, to semantic operations, I plan to extend the app's functionality
considerably over the next few months, e.g. to add a derivation system,
predicate logic, DNF, CNF and automated theorem proving. Thus, the hope is
that it will be useful both as a learning tool but also to carry out more
advanced work.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions relating to the app (or if you
find any bugs) and feel free to pass on the links to others, including
graduate students, who may be interested.

Best wishes,
Ioannis

--
Dr. Ioannis Votsis