31.1762, Books: Discourses on the Edges of Life: Salvador, Kotátková, Clemente (eds.)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed May 27 18:27:40 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-1762. Wed May 27 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.1762, Books: Discourses on the Edges of Life: Salvador, Kotátková, Clemente (eds.)

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Jeremy Coburn <jecoburn at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 14:26:56
From: Karin Plijnaar [karin.plijnaar at benjamins.nl]

Title: Discourses on the Edges of Life
Series Title: IVITRA Research in Linguistics and Literature 26

Publication Year: 2020
Publisher: John Benjamins
	   http://www.benjamins.com/

Book URL: https://benjamins.com/catalog/ivitra.26

Editor: Vicent Salvador
Editor: Adéla Kotátková
Editor: Ignasi Clemente

Electronic: ISBN:  9789027261373 Pages: 196 Price: U.S. $ 135.00
Electronic: ISBN:  9789027261373 Pages: 196 Price: U.K. £ 76.00
Electronic: ISBN:  9789027261373 Pages: 196 Price: Europe EURO 90.00
Hardback: ISBN:  9789027205377 Pages: 196 Price: U.S. $ 135.00
Hardback: ISBN:  9789027205377 Pages: 196 Price: U.K. £ 76.00
Hardback: ISBN:  9789027205377 Pages: 196 Price: Europe EURO 95.40

Abstract:

Death inhabits our collective imaginary, even though sometimes, like a
squatter, it hides discretely in order to avoid conflicts. It is undoubtedly a
multi-faceted subject of study, which requires consideration from an
interdisciplinary perspective.

This book deals with this phenomenon, and more specifically with the
discourses that surround – and construct our perspectives and understanding of
– death and dying. Of course, the present volume does not attempt to be
exhaustive, and considers the subject from several standpoints, including
linguistics, anthropology, history of medicine, and importantly, literary
studies. It combines various points of view and different methodologies of
knowledge, in the hope that they come together to constitute a written
dialogue –or more precisely, a "polylogue".

The ordering of the texts in this volume provides readers with an itinerary
that begins with more general approaches, such as a historical presentation of
the medicalisation of death and an in-depth reflection on the best way to die,
and ends with studies of specific literary works from different periods.

The itinerary that this book provides is framed by a discourse analysis-based
overview that explores how different approaches to death and dying intersect
and complement each other in an interdisciplinary endeavour. This analysis
focuses on literary and non-literary genres in order to shed some new light on
a topic that is inexhaustible because of its sociocultural relevance.

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis
                     Ling & Literature
                     Pragmatics

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=144216