31.3399, Support: Germanic; German; Discipline of Linguistics: PhD, University of Texas at Austin

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Nov 5 17:40:50 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-3399. Thu Nov 05 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.3399, Support: Germanic; German; Discipline of Linguistics: PhD, University of Texas at Austin

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2020 12:40:17
From: Marc Pierce [mpierc at austin.utexas.edu]
Subject: Germanic; German; Discipline of Linguistics: PhD, University of Texas at Austin, USA

 Institution/Organization: University of Texas at Austin
Department: Germanic Studies
Web Address: https://liberalarts.utexas.edu/germanic/

Level: PhD

Duties: Teaching

Specialty Areas: Discipline of Linguistics
German Studies
Required Language(s): German (deu)

                      Germanic

The Department of Germanic Studies at the University of Texas at Austin has
several graduate student positions available to start in Fall 2021. The
Department has an outstanding reputation in various areas of German(ic)
Studies:
- German literary and cultural studies,
- Germanic linguistics, and
- Applied linguistics.

Support packages normally include complete payment of tuition and fees, a
graduate assistantship (normally a teaching position, paying between $6500 and
$8500 per semester), health insurance, and a generous stipend for conference
travel. Additional financial support may be available for outstanding
candidates.

Our graduate students receive individual training through intensive and
extensive collaboration with faculty members, and thereby develop a high level
of competence in both teaching and scholarship. In addition to developing
expertise in their subject area, all of our graduate students also receive
extensive training and experience in teaching German as a foreign language.
Many of our graduates find attractive positions in academic and non-academic
fields.

Requirements: A B.A., M.A., or equivalent in German Studies (or in a related
discipline like Comparative Literature or Linguistics); an outstanding
academic record; near-native competency in both English and German; the GRE
(and the TOEFL, for non-native speakers of English); an interest in scholarly
research in at least one of the following areas: German literature, German
cultural or media studies, linguistics, or applied linguistics.

Application deadline: January 19, 2021, for admission for the Fall 2021
semester. We may also accept late applications at our discretion.

Additional information is available at:
https://liberalarts.utexas.edu/germanic/graduate/admissions1/admissions-welcom
e.php

If you have further questions about our department or the application process,
please contact Ms. Monica Urso, Graduate Coordinator
(monicau22 at austin.utexas.edu; in English) or Dr. Marc Pierce, Graduate Advisor
(mpierc at austin.utexas.edu; in German or English).

Eine deutsche Version dieses Textes ist unter der folgenden URL zu finden:
https://liberalarts.utexas.edu/germanic/_files/pdf/PHDlinks/germanicgraduatepr
ogramflyer21.pdf

Web Address for Applications: https://liberalarts.utexas.edu/germanic/graduate/admissions1/admissions-welcome.php

Contact Information: