31.3413, Calls: Germanic; Gen Ling/Online

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sat Nov 7 00:06:11 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-3413. Fri Nov 06 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.3413, Calls: Germanic; Gen Ling/Online

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2020 19:05:42
From: Katerina Somers [kisomers at wisc.edu]
Subject: Germanic Linguistics Annual Conference 27

Full Title: Germanic Linguistics Annual Conference 27
Short Title: GLAC 27

Date: 12-May-2021 - 14-May-2021
Location: Virtual, USA
Contact Person: Katerina Somers
Meeting Email: glac at gns.wisc.edu

Language Family(ies): Germanic

Call Deadline: 01-Mar-2021

Meeting Description:

GLAC is the annual conference of the Society for Germanic Linguistics (SGL),
an organization serving a broad community of scholars teaching and researching
in Germanic linguistics and philology. Papers submitted to GLAC may be on any
linguistic or philological aspect of any historical or modern Germanic
language or dialect, including English (to the Early Modern period) and the
extraterritorial varieties. Papers from the full range of linguistic and
philological subfields, as well as differing theoretical perspectives, are
welcome. Abstracts submitted to GLAC will be reviewed anonymously.

Call for Papers:

The organizers of the 27th Germanic Linguistics Annual Conference (GLAC 27),
sponsored by the University of Wisconsin–Madison, invite faculty, graduate
students, and independent scholars to submit abstracts to the conference,
which will be take place virtually from Wednesday, May 12 through Friday, May
14, 2021.

There are two options for participating in GLAC 27:
- 30-minute papers on original research (20 minute talk, 10 minute question
period)
- Poster sessions on research (via prerecorded “lightning talks” and breakout
rooms for discussion)

Papers and posters may be on any linguistic or philological aspect of any
historical or modern Germanic language or dialect, including English (to the
Early Modern period) and the extraterritorial varieties. Papers from the full
range of linguistic and philological subfields, including phonetics,
phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics, pragmatics, sociolinguistics,
stylistics, language variation, language typology, metrics, first and second
language acquisition, foreign language education, language contact and
language change, as well as differing theoretical perspectives, are welcome.
All abstracts will undergo anonymous peer review.

Abstracts must be submitted electronically in PDF format by March 1, 2021.
Abstracts should be a maximum of one single-spaced page in length and written
in a standard 12-point font. They should be submitted through Easy Abstracts
at http://linguistlist.org/easyabs/glac2021.

A note from the organizers:
Because of the online format we expect that there will be fewer speaker slots
than is normally the case at GLAC. Thus, we will offer expanded poster
sessions, as well as a conference repository for abstracts and recorded
presentations, which will be accessible during and after the conference. In
setting the presentation schedule, our first principle will be to give
preference to graduate students and early career researchers. Second, we will
aim for breadth in topics. We ask that each individual submit only one
abstract this year, either for a single-authored paper/poster or a co-authored
paper/poster.

**Please indicate at the top of your abstract if you think your paper works
*only* as a paper or a poster. Our default assumption will be that submissions
are for either format.**