31.3416, Staff Letter: Jeremy Coburn

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sat Nov 7 00:47:18 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-3416. Fri Nov 06 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.3416, Staff Letter: Jeremy Coburn

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2020 19:41:06
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Staff Letter: Jeremy Coburn

Dear LINGUIST Listers,

My name is Jeremy Coburn and I am the student moderator and editor for The
LINGUIST List working on book announcements and book reviews. I have the
pleasure of working with some of the most prominent publishers in the world to
deliver publications on cutting-edge developments within the field of
linguistics to you, our readers. My job is to ensure that the books we
announce on LINGUIST List are current and relevant to you and your interests
as a linguist by vetting the hundreds of publications which are submitted to
us each month for announcement. This means that when you receive a book
announcement from The LINGUIST List, you know that what is being advertised is
hand-selected for our linguistic audience.

The LINGUIST List, and by extension the generous donations given by so many of
you, allowed me to obtain a Master's degree in General Linguistics from
Indiana University, our host institution, last Spring without accruing any of
the crushing student debt that affects most graduate students. Now, I am a PhD
candidate in the Department of Linguistics at IU pursuing a PhD in Linguistics
with a concentration on African languages and linguistics. Having lived in
East Africa for several years, I developed a love for the linguistic diversity
present in Africa and consequently focus my research on the description of
languages of Tanzania. My doctoral dissertation research focuses on the
phonetics and phonology of Hadza, an endangered language isolate spoken in
north-central Tanzania. I am particularly interested in the acoustics and
articulation of clicks in Hadza using instrumental methods, including 3D/4D
ultrasound. I have been selected for the Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation
Research Abroad (DDRA) fellowship to conduct fieldwork in Tanzania with the
Hadzabe beginning in Spring 2021.

I would like to thank you, our readers, for all that you do for me and my
family. In addition to being a linguist, I am also a husband and father of two
rambunctious children (4 & 2). Thanks to your donations, I am able to support
my family while pursuing my post-graduate degree. When my wife and I began
this crazy journey of graduate school, we had little more than the ambition to
pursue a dream of studying the beautiful languages of East Africa and trying
to help the world in some small way. We moved to Bloomington, Indiana from
Utah without any job or source of funding to pay for my studies. We didn’t
know how we would pay for anything. But now, because of your support and
contributions, I have a GA-ship with the LINGUIST List which covers my tuition
costs and gives me enough money to feed my growing family. Please continue to
support LINGUIST List as much as you are able because it does make a
significant difference in our lives. You can do that by donating to our fund
drive at the following link: https://funddrive.linguistlist.org/donate/

Thank you again from Jeremy, Lynzie, Ryker, and Maiya!