31.3418, Calls: Gen Ling, Ling & Lit/Online

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sat Nov 7 01:49:32 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-3418. Fri Nov 06 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.3418, Calls: Gen Ling, Ling & Lit/Online

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2020 20:48:48
From: Gorka Basterretxea Santiso [gb790 at georgetown.edu]
Subject: 13th GRAPHSY 2021 (Graduate Portuguese and Hispanic Symposium)

Full Title: 13th GRAPHSY 2021 (Graduate Portuguese and Hispanic Symposium)
Short Title: GRAPHSY 2021

Date: 18-Feb-2021 - 19-Feb-2021
Location: Washington, D.C. (Online) Georgetown University, USA
Contact Person: Gorka Basterretxea Santiso
Meeting Email: graphsy at georgetown.edu
Web Site: https://spanport.georgetown.edu/graphsy-2021/

Linguistic Field(s): General Linguistics; Ling & Literature

Call Deadline: 11-Jan-2021

Meeting Description:

The graduate students in the Department of Spanish and Portuguese at
Georgetown University would like to invite graduate students to send abstracts
for the Graduate Portuguese and Hispanic Symposium 2021 (GRAPHSY). The
conference will be held on February 18 and 19, 2021 through Georgetown
University’s online platform. Paper and poster presentations are welcome on a
wide range of topics within the fields of Hispanic linguistics and
literatures. This year our goal is to promote a dialogue on the effects of the
current global crisis on linguistics and literature, focusing our attention on
how to overcome this impact.

This year’s conference welcomes proposals within the theme of Academia:
cuarentena y crisis/quarentena e crise, encouraging the submission of a broad
range of research in the fields of Linguistics, and Iberian and Latin American
Literatures, and Cultures. GRAPHSY 2021 aims to shed light and discuss how the
social and sanitary global crisis has impacted academia in aspects such as
research, investigation, teaching, job market and its intersection with the
community. The conference invites scholars and students to join forces to
discuss and share alternatives and suggestions to overcome the 2020 crisis in
the academic setting.
N.B. We also welcome experimental or creative works about COVID-19 and/or
presentations loosely (or not) related to the current social and sanitary
global crisis

Program Information/Call for Papers:

This year, the literature part of the conference is pleased to welcome 4
scholars who will share their experience in navigating career possibilities
within and outside academia, in addition to a special event named “Trajectory
Keynote Conference” by our Emerita Professor Gwen Kirkpatrick.

February 18 (Thursday)
 - Dr. Omar Abdullah (Cultivate Behavioral Health & Education)
 - Dr. Natalia Castro (City University of New York / Princeton University)
 - Dr. Liliana Colanzi (Cornell University)
 - Dr. Kristine Lodge (Oregon University)

February 19 (Friday)
 - Dr. Gwen Kirkcpatrick (Georgetown University)

On the other hand, the linguistics part of the conference welcomes two panels
comprised of the following distinguished academics:

February 18 (Thursday)
 - Dr. Claudia Crespo del Río (Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú)
 - Dr. Gorka Elordieta (Universidad del País Vasco/Euskal Herriko
Unibertsitatea)
 - Dr. Francisco Fernández-Rubiera (University of Central Florida)
 - Dr. Ji Young Kim (University of California, Los Angeles)

February 19 (Friday)
 - Dr. Salvatore Callesano (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign)
 - Dr. Belem López (The University of Texas at Austin)
 - Dr. Rachel Shively (Illinois State University)
 - Dr. Ana Celia Zentella (University of California San Diego)

Finally, we are pleased to welcome Dr. Karen Kelsky (Thursday Feb. 18) for a
joint discussion about the current job market and how to be a scholar in times
of crisis.

Graduate students at any level in their studies are welcome to participate in
GRAPHSY 2021. Undergraduate students will also be considered for poster
presentations. Professors who may want to join us are welcome to submit
proposals with graduate students as co-presenters. Please find attached the
call for papers, which includes more information on the conference. Abstracts
should be a maximum of 300 words, not including references, and can be
submitted here:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSccx2YEr78xb0HybZ6LSsoL4Y4qTv-eI9Ghoy
MSmj8GWoyZdA/viewform. The deadline for abstract submission is January 11,
2020.

N.B. We also welcome experimental or creative works about COVID-19 and/or
presentations loosely (or not) related to the current social and sanitary
global crisis.

Further information can be found at
https://spanport.georgetown.edu/graphsy-2021/, or you may contact us with
questions at graphsy at georgetown.edu. Please feel free to forward this to any
student or colleagues who may be interested.

You can also follow us on our social media: Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.

We look forward to seeing you in February 2021 and encourage you to contact us
with any questions or concerns.

Conference Organizers:
Gorka Basterretxea Santiso (Co-Chair, Linguistics)
Maude Havenne (Co-Chair, Literature)
Sara Ramírez (Junior Co-Chair, Linguistics)
Natalia Chávez (Junior Co-Chair, Literature)
GRAPHSY 2021 committee members