31.3427, FYI: European linguists! Travel Funding to Prepare for the 'human-machine era'

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sat Nov 7 04:59:55 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-3427. Fri Nov 06 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.3427, FYI: European linguists! Travel Funding to Prepare for the 'human-machine era'

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2020 23:59:40
From: Dave Sayers [dave.sayers at cantab.net]

'Language In The Human-Machine Era' (LITHME) is a research network funded by
the EU COST programme (https://cost.eu). We are here to prepare linguistics
and its various subfields for a time - probably just a few years away - when
“many millions of people will be … wearing relatively unobtrusive … devices
that offer an immersive and high-resolution view of a visually augmented
world” (https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7466746). This along with other
technological advances - like highly intelligent chatbots, improved machine
translation, and automated text and speech generation - will bring major
challenges to the entire field of linguistics.

If you're a linguist who is not currently interested in technology, then now
is the time to learn! Meanwhile if you're a technologist working on these
technologies, then you and your creations will be much better for
understanding linguistics! We can all learn from each other, which is where
LITHME comes in. An equal mix of computational linguists and other linguists
from a broad range of subfields, we will be arranging a series of meetings,
events, and networking opportunities for what lays ahead.

During the COVID travel restrictions we sadly can't arrange large in-person
meetings. But COST also funds individual 'Short-term Scientific Missions',
where one researcher travels across borders to learn and share knowledge. So
for the time being we're focusing on these short term individual visits where
cross-border travel is allowed, and ensuring COVID safety protocols during the
visit and associated travel. Intended for novel dialogue as outlined above,
these visits should increase understanding and preparation for language in the
human-machine era.

For eligibility criteria, deadline & further information, please see our
website: https://lithme.eu/STSM

Please also forward this message on to anyone who might be interested, and
retweet us here:
https://twitter.com/LgHumanMachine/status/1318260873216012289

All the best,
Dave

Dr. Dave Sayers, ORCID no. 0000-0003-1124-7132
Senior Lecturer, Dept Language & Communication Studies, Uni. of Jyväskylä,
Finland | www.jyu.fi
Chair, EU COST Action CA19102 'Language in the Human-Machine Era' |
www.lithme.eu
Communications Secretary, BAAL Language Policy group | www.langpol.ac.uk
dave.sayers at cantab.net | https://jyu.academia.edu/DaveSayers

Linguistic Field(s): Discipline of Linguistics