31.3546, FYI: Online Lecture 11/19: Haris Themistocleous - Automated Analysis of Disordered Speech

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Nov 18 11:12:49 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-3546. Wed Nov 18 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.3546, FYI: Online Lecture 11/19: Haris Themistocleous - Automated Analysis of Disordered Speech

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 06:12:22
From: Dirk Den Ouden [denouden at sc.edu]

Thursday, November 19, 2pm ET
Presentation in Zoom, accessible via the C-STAR website:
http://cstar.sc.edu/lecture-series/

Automatic analysis of speech communication: How Natural Language Processing
and Machine Learning can contribute to clinical research

Charalambos (Haris) Themistocleous, Ph.D.
Johns Hopkins University

Impaired communication has debilitating effects on patients with conditions,
such as Primary Progressive Aphasia and stroke aphasia. Communication
impairments result in disengagement from everyday activities, isolation, and
trigger psychophysical reactions, including depression, and sleep disorders.
Speech communication is usually defined in terms of discourse analysis and
conversation analysis in language sciences. Nevertheless, the analysis of
speech communication in the clinic is a time-consuming and laborious process
because of the extreme wealth of information that is contained even in a
single utterance (e.g., acoustic, phonological, and morphosyntactic). Recent
developments in computational linguistics in conjunction with artificial
intelligence methods, such as machine learning, provide powerful and efficient
alternatives to traditional methods because they can provide objective
measurements fast and accurately. In this talk, I will discuss our recent work
and provide an overview of current developments in automated methods of
discourse analysis, such as machine learning, signal processing, and natural
language processing. Additionally, I will show how automatic markers of
communication can complement other behavioral interventions, MRI, cognitive,
and quality of life evaluations for the improvement of diagnosis, prognosis,
and treatment choices in clinical practice.

Linguistic Field(s): Clinical Linguistics
                     Computational Linguistics
                     Discourse Analysis
                     Neurolinguistics
                     Phonetics