31.3560, Staff Letter: Everett Green

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Nov 20 01:12:51 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-3560. Thu Nov 19 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.3560, Staff Letter: Everett Green

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 20:02:06
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Staff Letter: Everett Green

Hello, Fellow Linguists!

My name is Everett Green, and I am currently the general editor for the
LINGUIST List. I am chiefly responsible for all of the lower traffic
submission areas (i.e. FYI's, Software, Media, Discussions, etc.) but since I
am trained on almost all of the editorial areas (sans 3 or 4) I try to spend
time helping out my colleagues with their tasks when the opportunity arises.
Lately, I have been spending my time managing the fund drive posts so I can
not thank those of you who have donated enough, especially in these
particularly stressful times.

As some of my colleagues have mentioned, this job gives us a considerable
amount of insight into the field of linguistics as a whole and since I have
worked in almost all of the editorial areas in some capacity, I have gained a
respectable overview of the field of linguistics. In particular the jobs and
conference call submission areas showcase some very interesting research.
However, I am a bit biased here as these are the two primary areas that I was
responsible for in the past. The sampling of the research space that our job
provides has been invaluable in helping me to determine my own research
interests and, as another bonus, it is quite heartening to see some of the
great research that all of you do.

Outside of the LINGUIST List, I am a dual PhD student in Computational
Linguistics and Cognitive Science. Generally, I study neural networks (among
other techniques) and how we can use these to create artificial agents (i.e.
virtual agents, robots) that ground their understanding of language in the
context of their environment as humans do in the real world. Lately, I have
been studying a special type of neural network called a transformer network
which was the network architecture behind the recent breakthrough language
model, GPT-3 (explanation here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x9AwxfjxvE).

The opportunity to work with the faculty here at Indiana University, who have
deep knowledge on the aforementioned topics, is not something that I take for
granted. Without the support of the LINGUIST List, I would have gone deeply in
debt to acquire the knowledge that I currently possess and more than likely
would not have been able to be a part of the research community at all. So I
cannot thank you all enough for your support. I only hope that I can repay the
favor by contributing research that makes all of your lives healthier and
happier. Thanks so much for taking time out of your busy day to read about me
and I hope to keep assisting all of you in whatever way that I can here at the
LINGUIST List.

Best wishes to all of you,
Everett

--

If you haven't donated and you would like to, you can do so by visiting our
donation website here: https://funddrive.linguistlist.org/donate/