31.3653, Calls: Gen Ling/Netherlands and Online

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Nov 30 21:41:30 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-3653. Mon Nov 30 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.3653, Calls: Gen Ling/Netherlands and Online

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 16:40:56
From: Jenneke van der Wal [g.j.van.der.wal at hum.leidenuniv.nl]
Subject: World Congress of African Linguistics

Full Title: World Congress of African Linguistics
Short Title: WOCAL

Date: 07-Jun-2021 - 11-Jun-2021
Location: Leiden, Netherlands
Contact Person: Maarten Mous
Meeting Email: call at hum.leidenuniv.nl
Web Site: http://2021.wocal.net/

Call Deadline: 21-Dec-2020

Meeting Description:

Language plays a vital role in our societies that are more and more shaped by
communication and information, and Africa is no exception. As languages
provide the framework for interpreting the world, African languages can
contribute tremendously to our understanding of how people communicate and how
language structures this interaction. Only by using African languages in all
spheres of social life in African societies does communication become
inclusive and information truly accessible to all and lead to reducing
inequality and establishing sustainable societies. African linguistics has a
key role to play in helping to bring this about.

Announcement and Third Call for Papers:

Abstract Submission deadline extended!

The 10th World Congress of African Languages and Linguistics will be held at
Leiden University from June 7-12, 2021. We are currently planning a hybrid
event: the conference will be primarily online and all presentations need to
be prerecorded and will be broadcast at the times in the programme. We
envisage that travelling possibilities will still be limited in June 2021 but
participants who can travel to Leiden are welcome to be together with us and
have the community feeling attending the event online in Leiden. This is of
course also possible in other places in the world. We encourage colleagues to
consider participating online in groups at their various locations to promote
the physical as well as virtual community togetherness.

Changes in the meeting dates:
Originally we reserved June 8-11 for the actual conference. In order to allow
more flexibility and run the event online, we will spread the programme over
the whole week, June 7 -11.
We will try to take into account, as much as possible, participation from
different time zones and we will concentrate presentations in the afternoon
and early evening Leiden (CET) time.

Deadline extension:
The deadline for submitting abstracts for the general sessions and for the
workshops (EasyChair link:
https://easychair.org/account/signin?l=938FhpX2hgsSU5nmBOmJzT) has been
extended until December 21, 11:59 pm CET. The date for the notification of
acceptance has also been moved to February 14, 2021.

Fees:
The online conference will be free of charges for participants based in
Africa; the fee for others will be 50 EUR. Participants attending in person in
Leiden will pay a small additional fee to cover costs for coffee/tea, snacks
etc.

WOCAL hubs around the world:
We encourage our colleagues to organise local hubs parallel to the Leiden one
to share internet connectivity and join the online WOCAL event as remote
groups. If you are interested in organising a local hub at your university or
institution, we welcome you to get in touch with us at call at hum.leidenuniv.nl.
We can provide an official invitation letter if required by your home
institution to support the organization of the hub.