31.2986, Staff Letter: Lauren Perkins

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Oct 2 00:39:01 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-2986. Thu Oct 01 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.2986, Staff Letter: Lauren Perkins

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2020 20:38:40
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Staff Letter: Lauren Perkins

Hello, fellow linguists!

My name is Lauren Perkins, and I am the student editor for the Calls and
Conferences area of The LINGUIST List. It’s my job to make sure that each call
for papers or conference announcement is formatted according to our standards
and includes all the information that subscribers will need before posting
them on our website. I’ve been able to ‘meet’ a few of you via email, and
always enjoy interacting with my fellow linguists and helping you advertise
your conferences and events.

I feel like I have one of the most fun jobs at LINGUIST List since it allows
me a brief peek into the types of research that are going on in our field all
over the world. As a relatively new PhD student, it’s really inspiring to have
a job that continually exposes me to new languages, new questions, and new
avenues of study in linguistics.

As I mentioned, I am beginning my second year in the General Linguistics PhD
program at IU. I’m currently interested in syntax, psycholinguistics, and
construction grammar. My latest research project concerns the syntactic
phenomenon of sluice-stranding (also called ‘swiping’ or ‘swifting’) in
English and whether or not it can be viewed as a type of ellipsis. I am
interested in ways that we can connect current syntactic theory with
developments in neuro- and psycholinguistics and cognitive science, hopefully
providing a bridge between the theoretical and the functional.

In my spare time (what little of it I have), I love spending time with my
husband, Sam, and our cat, B. We like relaxing at home and drinking tea, or
having friends over for game nights. I also enjoy kickboxing, practicing
calligraphy and embroidery, and reading novels.

I’m extremely thankful for my job at the LINGUIST List, and thankful for
donors like you that make it possible. Not only does working at the LINGUIST
List provide a fascinating insight into current linguistics research, as well
as flexible hours (imperative for a graduate school schedule), but it also
provides me with enormous financial peace of mind. When Sam and I moved to
Indiana from Texas last year, we had just taken out a huge loan for my first
semester. I had been dreaming of returning to school for my PhD for several
years, and Sam fully supported me in that dream, but we knew we couldn’t
afford to keep taking out loans like the one we’d just committed to. Thanks to
LINGUIST List, I can now complete my program without taking out any more
loans, and we are able to start chipping away at past students loans. Our goal
is to be debt-free within the next few years, which would have been totally
impossible without the LINGUIST List. Since my work can be done remotely, I
was also able to continue my work despite the current crisis, which is a
privilege I don’t take lightly.

So, I want to thank everyone for supporting the LINGUIST List for the past 30
years! We at LINGUIST List are honored to serve such a wonderful community of
linguists, and so thankful for the impact that working at LINGUIST List has
had on our academic experiences. We look forward to another 30+ years of
service, and we trust that we can continue to rely on our faithful subscribers
who make all of our work possible. If you enjoy the resources the LINGUIST
List offers and are financially able, please consider donating. Thanks so much
for taking the time to read my story, and I look forward to posting your
upcoming conferences!