31.3009, Calls: English; Gen Ling/Finland

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Oct 5 19:30:52 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-3009. Mon Oct 05 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.3009, Calls: English; Gen Ling/Finland

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2020 15:30:00
From: Paula Rautionaho [paula.rautionaho at uef.fi]
Subject: ISLE 6

Full Title: ISLE 6

Date: 02-Jun-2021 - 05-Jun-2021
Location: Joensuu, Finland
Contact Person: Paula Rautionaho
Meeting Email: isle6 at uef.fi
Web Site: https://sites.uef.fi/isle6/

Subject Language(s): English (eng)

Call Deadline: 31-Dec-2020

Meeting Description:

Digitalization is undoubtedly one of the great revolutions in human history.
Technologization and digitalization make it possible that massive amounts of
linguistic data, past and present, are available through various channels.
These data can be combined, annotated, mined and visualized using high-powered
computing. For several decades, English linguistics has been at the forefront
of this revolution in the humanities, as evinced for instance in the
development and use of digital corpora and in the quantitative turn in the
field. While we recognize these past achievements, ISLE 6 seeks to assess the
impact of digitalization in English linguistics and in the study of its
varieties. We hope to be a venue for state-of-the-art presentations that
highlight how digitalization can (or cannot) benefit the study of English
linguistics and how it could help us understand its past and present and
possibly predict its future paths.

ISLE 6 will take place on 2–5 June 2021 as a hybrid conference with options
for both on-site and online participation. The full academic program can be
followed online, and we are currently planning for different ways of
socializing and interacting on-site and online. We are of course closely
monitoring the situation and are ready to go fully digital if need be. We will
inform you of any changes through the ISLE website (www.isle-linguistics.org)
and through the ISLE 6 website (https://sites.uef.fi/isle6/). With changes in
the conference format, we will also be able to accommodate more papers, and we
will therefore open a new call for papers, posters and workshops.

Call for Contributions:

We welcome new proposals pertaining to the conference theme, and to any field
of linguistic enquiry provided they deal with the English language.

1. Workshops
In addition to the six workshops already confirmed, we invite new proposals
for workshops to be held on the first day of the conference. The proposal
should include the following:
 - Workshop title and names of the organizer(s)
 - Brief description of the workshop (400–800 words)
 - An outline of the procedure for selecting papers and participants
 - Format of the workshop (please note that in principle workshops should
follow the pattern of the main conference in assigning the customary twenty
minutes per presentation plus ten minutes for discussion). The workshop can
take place as an online, on-site or as a hybrid version.

The deadline for submission of workshop proposals is 30 November 2020.
Notifications of acceptance will be sent to the workshop organizers by
mid-December 2020. Once a proposal is accepted, it will be the responsibility
of the workshop organizers to publicize and run their workshop, including
issuing a call for papers, reviewing and selecting abstracts, and so on.

2. Individual Papers and Posters
We invite new abstracts for individual papers and posters in the following
formats:
 - Full papers on-site/online
 - Work-in-progress reports on-site/online
 - Posters on-site
 - Posters online (3min. video presentations)

For online papers and posters, we are hoping to be as synchronous as possible.
Details on the different options will be communicated on the conference
website as soon as they are crystallized.

Abstracts for full and WIP papers as well as posters should be between 300 and
500 words (excluding references), and should clearly state research questions,
approach, method, data and (expected) results. The abstract must remain fully
anonymous – please make sure that your files do not include your name in the
document properties either.

Abstracts are submitted via the new Kongressi online system; to access the
system, please follow the link:
https://registration.contio.fi/uef/Registration/Login?id=1370-ISLE6_2020-1967.
Please refer to the conference website
(https://sites.uef.fi/isle6/submitting-a-new-proposal/) for further
guidelines.

The deadline for submission of paper and poster abstracts is 31 December 2020.
Abstracts will be reviewed anonymously, and notifications of acceptance sent
out by mid-February 2021.