31.3131, Qs: Teaching Sociolinguistic Competence

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Oct 15 04:20:04 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-3131. Thu Oct 15 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.3131, Qs: Teaching Sociolinguistic Competence

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2020 00:19:25
From: Danny Plooy [danny.plooy at student.nhlstenden.nl]
Subject: Teaching Sociolinguistic Competence

Hi all, my name is Danny Plooy. I live in the Netherlands and am currently in
training to become an English teacher. For my final project I am working on
the implementation of sociolinguistics in speaking competence lessons. The
target group consist of vocational students, age 16-18, studying to join the
armed forces. Their English level is basic (A2 CEFR) for productive skills.
What I would like to know is if you have any insights you would like to share
on either incorporating the teaching of sociolinguistic competence in general
speaking competence lessons, or if you have any views on teaching
sociolinguistics explicitly.  Any and all input would be quite welcome.

Thanks, Danny

Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics

Subject Language(s): English (eng)