31.3152, Jobs: Applied Linguistics: Assistant Professor, University of Massachusetts

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Oct 16 20:00:47 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-3152. Fri Oct 16 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.3152, Jobs: Applied Linguistics: Assistant Professor, University of Massachusetts

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 15:58:55
From: Professor Panayota Gounari [panagiota.gounari at umb.edu]
Subject: Applied Linguistics: Assistant Professor, University of Massachusetts, Boston, Massachusetts, USA

University or Organization: University of Massachusetts
Department: Applied Linguistics
Job Location: Massachusetts, USA
Web Address: https://www.umb.edu/academics/cla/appling/grad/applied_linguistics_ma
Job Title: Assistant Professor - Applied Linguistics
Job Rank: Assistant Professor

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Bilingual Education

Assistant Professor in Applied Linguistics with specialization in Bilingual
Education

The Applied Linguistics Department at the University of Massachusetts Boston
invites applications for a full-time tenure-track position at the rank of
Assistant Professor with a start date of September 1st 2021. We envision a
colleague who will contribute through research, teaching, and service to our
commitment to engagement with and inclusion of culturally diverse audiences in
higher education and in the New England public school community.

Required Experience and Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will have an earned Ph.D. in Applied Linguistics or
relevant field by the start date and a clear and relevant research agenda.

We are seeking a scholar with 3+ years of teaching experience, including
leadership and curriculum development roles in a bilingual K-12 setting (dual
language, bilingual or ESL classroom). We expect the candidate to engage
school communities in collaborative teaching and research activities that will
lead to rigorous academic publications, external funding, professional
development for teachers, and policy change. The candidate will advocate for
bilingual students and minoritized communities, as a scholar, an educator, and
a community-engaged partner by maintaining a robust research agenda,
spearheading the development of our Educator Licensure Program, and serving
and assuming leadership at the local, state, and national levels.

Application Instructions:
Applications must be received online by November 15, 2020. We request that
applicants submit the following:
- A Curriculum Vitae
- A cover letter highlighting how their teaching, research and service
demonstrate core values of a commitment to diversity and inclusion
- A succinct statement of their teaching philosophy, including how their
cultural, linguistic, experiential, and/or academic background contributes to
the understanding of diversity
- Pertinent publications
- Three academic letters of recommendation and, at least, one letter
addressing community engagement
- We expect to invite applicants for interviews via teleconference. Please
address any inquiries to Professor Panayota Gounari
(panagiota.gounari at umb.edu).

The Department of Applied Linguistics at UMass Boston is dedicated to building
a diverse faculty body committed to working in a multicultural environment and
strongly encourages scholars of color and members of groups that have been
historically underrepresented in the academy to apply.

The only public university in the city, and the third most diverse four-year
college in the United States, UMass Boston is a lively urban institution.
According to a U.S. Department of Education Report, UMass Boston is the only
large four-year public school in America in which there is a greater than 80
percent chance that two randomly selected students would have a different
race, ethnicity, or U.S. citizenship status.

Applications close: 15 Nov 2020

All official salary offers must be approved by Human Resources.

For more information, or to apply, please visit the application link provided
below.

The University of Massachusetts Boston provides equal employment opportunities
to all employees and applicants for employment.

Application Deadline: 15-Nov-2020

Web Address for Applications: https://employmentopportunities.umb.edu/boston/en-us/job/506523/assistant-professor
Contact Information:
	Professor Panayota Gounari