31.3166, Challenge Update: Week 5

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sun Oct 18 23:29:41 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-3166. Sun Oct 18 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.3166, Challenge Update: Week 5

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 19:28:51
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Challenge Update: Week 5

Hello LINGUIST Listers!

We hope your weekend is going well. Here is another challenges update. Since
our last update we have gotten to 23.1%! What changes have we seen in the
challenges?

For the Subfield Challenge, it looks like Syntax is set on keeping their first
place spot with $1,580 in donations. Sociolinguistics is looking to catch up
to Syntax, and they now have $1,100. The battle for first place is getting
heated! We have an upset since our last update, Language Acquisition has
surpassed Phonology with a total of $843.99 in donations!

The University of Southern Carolina also wants to keep their first place spot.
They're still in the lead in terms of the number of donations and in amount of
money donated, with 11 donors and $915 respectively. LINGUIST List's host
university, Indiana University Bloomington, is still in second place with $385
in donations, which is unchanged from earlier this week. Also unchanged, we
have the University of Surrey in third place with $250 donated. Will The
University of Southern Carolina continue dominating the University Challenge,
or will we see some action from other schools?

We've seen an increase in donors from North America for the Region Challenge.
North America now has 75 donors. It looks like Europe wants to catch up though
and they now have 47 donors. Asia has also increased their number of donors
and now have 10!

Let's see how this heats up! If you want to help your Subfield, University, or
Region in this challenge, please consider donating to The LINGUIST List Fund
Drive by visiting our website: https://funddrive.linguistlist.org/donate/

See you in a few days with the next challenge update!

Best,

The LL Team