31.3168, FYI: Queer in AI Social at EMNLP 2020

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Oct 19 01:31:59 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-3168. Sun Oct 18 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.3168, FYI: Queer in AI Social at EMNLP 2020

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 21:30:30
From: Vasundhara Gautam [vasundhara131719 at gmail.com]
Subject: Queer in AI Social at EMNLP 2020

Queer in AI is hosting virtual socials at EMNLP 2020! Please see the website
(https://sites.google.com/view/queer-in-ai/emnlp2020) for more details and
please sign up to attend our socials with the registration form
(https://forms.gle/M8cujUcc9ivjSp9s8). People of all identities (including
allies) are invited to attend. EMNLP registration is strongly encouraged but
not required to attend the social.

There will be two 2-hour-long socials:
Social A: 9 am Hong Kong (Nov 17) / 5 pm Vancouver (Nov 16) / 10 pm São Paulo
(Nov 16), use this link to convert into your timezone
(https://www.starts-at.com/e/?t=0100&d=2020-11-17&tz=UTC)
Social B: 11 am New York (Nov 18) / 5 pm Berlin (Nov 18) / 9.30 pm Delhi (Nov
18), use this link to convert into your timezone
(https://www.starts-at.com/e/?t=1600&d=2020-11-18&tz=UTC)

Structure: The first hour of the social will include a presentation from the
organizers, mini-speeches by the speakers and a word from our sponsors. The
next hour of the social will consist of discussions (formal and informal) in
the form of 20-30 minute Zoom breakout rooms, and virtual socializing.

Mini-speeches: The social will feature talks from LGBTQ+ activists and queer
scientists: Delip Rao (he/him), Lil Miss Hot Mess (she/her), Kirby Conrod
(they/them), Jasmijn Bastings (she/her), Naomi Saphra (they/she), and Irving
Retting (he/him).

Financial Aid: Queer in AI and EMNLP are offering financial aid for queer
researchers to attend the virtual conference. The funding includes financial
aid for registration, internet connection, VPN and so on. We strongly suggest
filling out both the EMNLP funding form (https://tinyurl.com/yxqcuxnd) and the
Queer in AI funding form (https://forms.gle/ugiBmo8Ek6LJ9jFg6).

Call for volunteers: We need volunteers for the Queer in AI socials;
responsibilities include moderating, live-tweeting, organizing dry runs, etc.
The estimated time commitment is 2-4 hours around the conference dates. Please
fill out the call for volunteers form (https://forms.gle/tTMdwV1qkLkzZDGU6) if
you’re interested in helping with the socials.

Future conferences: Stay tuned for the Queer in AI events that will be
happening at AACL 2020 (December 4-7) and COLING 2020 (December 8-13)!

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics