31.3218, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Assistant Professor, Boston University

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Oct 23 00:11:29 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-3218. Thu Oct 22 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.3218, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Assistant Professor, Boston University

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 20:11:02
From: Paul Hagstrom [hagstrom at bu.edu]
Subject: Computational Linguistics: Assistant Professor, Boston University, Massachusetts, USA

University or Organization: Boston University
Department: Linguistics
Job Location: Massachusetts, USA
Web Address: https://ling.bu.edu
Job Title: BU Tenure-track Assistant Professor of Computational Linguistics
Job Rank: Assistant Professor

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics

Boston University invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor
of Computational Linguistics for primary appointment in the Department of
Linguistics, with secondary appointment in or affiliation with the Computer
Science Department, to begin July 1, 2021. The candidate will conduct
research; teach courses in Computational Linguistics and related areas
(Linguistics, Computer Science) at all levels; and advise graduate and
undergraduate students. The successful applicant will have excellent
programming skills, experience in computational linguistic research, and a
broad vision and general knowledge of the field of computational linguistics.

The new hire will play a key role in our joint undergraduate major in
Linguistics & Computer Science and help us develop a professional Master’s
program that will serve students with a background in Linguistics and/or
Computer Science, paving the way for a wide variety of potential placements
and careers. Requirements include a PhD in Linguistics (or Computational
Linguistics) in hand by the start date, including some formal training in
Computer Science, plus demonstrated excellence in teaching, advising, and
research. For further information about our academic programs, see
https://ling.bu.edu/ and https://www.bu.edu/cs/ .

Application materials should be uploaded as individual PDF files through
Academic Jobs Online at the application link provided below.

These should include a 2-page cover letter plus separate statements about
research; teaching; and diversity (describing past experience with and/or
future plans for contributing to diversity and inclusion through research,
teaching, and/or service), of not more than 2 pages each. Please also upload a
curriculum vitae, documentation of success in teaching (e.g., complete sets of
teaching evaluations), and three selected publications. Three reference
letters are to be uploaded by recommenders.

For full consideration, applications should be complete by December 1, 2020.

Boston University is an AAU institution with a rich tradition of inclusion and
social justice. We are proud that we were the first American university to
award a PhD to a woman (1877) and that Martin Luther King Jr. received his PhD
here (1955). The Linguistics Program is committed to the College of Arts &
Sciences Diversity and Inclusion Strategic Plan
(https://www.bu.edu/cas/about/diversity-inclusion/) for building a diverse,
inclusive, and accessible environment for all. Applications from women,
minorities, and candidates from other underrepresented groups are strongly
encouraged. Recognizing that diversity of experience deepens the intellectual
endeavor, we are dedicated to increasing the participation of all talented
students, including those from underrepresented groups, in the study of
language and are particularly interested in scholars who can contribute to the
diversity and inclusiveness of the academic community, at BU and beyond,
through their research, teaching, and service.

We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status,
protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are
a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.

Application Deadline: 01-Dec-2020

Web Address for Applications: https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/17201
Contact Information: