31.3221, Calls: Applied Ling, Gen Ling, Lang Acquisition, Socioling, Translation/Online

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Oct 23 00:47:45 UTC 2020

LINGUIST List: Vol-31-3221. Thu Oct 22 2020. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 31.3221, Calls: Applied Ling, Gen Ling, Lang Acquisition, Socioling, Translation/Online

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 20:46:55
From: Monica de la Fuente Iglesias [monica.delafuente at uta.edu]
Subject: 2021 Cultural Construction Conference: Resilience and Reinvention

Full Title: 2021 Cultural Construction Conference: Resilience and Reinvention

Date: 04-Mar-2021 - 05-Mar-2021
Location: Arlington, TX (online), USA
Contact Person: Monica de la Fuente Iglesias
Meeting Email: monica.delafuente at uta.edu
Web Site: https://www.uta.edu/modl/news/10-13-20.php

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Sociolinguistics; Translation

Call Deadline: 15-Dec-2020

Meeting Description:

The Department of Modern Languages at the University of Texas at Arlington is
delighted to announce the 2021 Cultural Construction Conference. This is a
free and open to the public event, taking place on March 4-5, 2021 on Teams
(online).

The question of resilience has become increasingly significant in the year
2020 on many levels, both in personal and professional contexts. We are
seeking papers that examine the ability of languages and cultures to perform
despite unpredictable events. The purpose of the conference is to open up a
dialogue about resilience and reinvention in their broad sense: overcoming,
surviving, preserving, remaking, renewing, reaffirming. We ask scholars to
consider engagements with languages and cultures, the people that represent
them, and the professions that surround them, in terms of ongoing processes of
adaptation.

The organizers invite papers, and complete sessions, on any aspect of the 2021
conference theme: “Resilience and Reinvention.”

Call for Papers:

We welcome 300-word abstract proposals for fifteen-minute papers as well as
planned panels of three to five papers pertinent to these themes and their
manifestations anywhere in the world. Five student presentations will be
awarded $50 for outstanding achievement.

We welcome papers for a range of approaches and disciplines:
 - linguistics (bilingualism, sociolinguistics, variation)
 - second language acquisition and second/foreign language pedagogy
 - translation, localization, and interpreting
 - literary and cultural studies
 - creative writing

Undergraduate and graduate students are encouraged to participate. In an
effort to be inclusive, we ask for all presentations to be delivered in
English. Some exceptions may be granted on an individual basis. Abstracts can
be submitted via https://ccc2021.questionpro.com/.

Important Dates:
 - December 15, 2020: deadline to submit
 - January 15, 2021: participants receive notification of acceptance
 - March 4-5, 2021: conference broadcast live on Microsoft Teams

Conference link: www.uta.edu/modl/news/10-13-20.php